We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isabela land-based tour trip report

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
231 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
Isabela land-based tour trip report

After spending 5 days/4 nights on the tip-top III we flew by Emetebe to Isabela. In some ways I enjoyed this more than being on the boat. There were some things we saw on the cruise that we could not see otherwise (such as Espanola island), but there is also something special about just staying on the island, interacting with people more, and not having a very strict schedule. In the 4 days we were there we (more details on my attraction review);

Saw the Isabella tortoise breeding center

Went to Sierra Negra, Camp Duro and Cave de sucre. Even though it was overcast, we hiked to the crater and were able to see some of it as the mist/clouds were drifting. The hike is through a beautiful jungle.

Went to Concha Perla each day

Went to Last Tuneles where we both hiked & snorkeled

Went to Las tintoreras where we both hiked and snorkeled.

We stayed at Casa Marita and each late afternoon/early evening we would first order our dinner (they need a 1 hour lead time) then relax in the hammocks, listen to the waves and watch the sunset.

All of our tours and airport pickup were organized by the Isabela Dive Center. We had 5mm full wetsuits for the snorkeling which we had brought and I highly recommend

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,458 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isabela land-based tour trip report

Thanks for reporting. I know what you mean about the boat--as enthralling as a cruise is, it's kind of liberating once you get off. Did you do any diving?

Calgary
Level Contributor
55 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isabela land-based tour trip report

I went to the website, but it is lacking in details. Were the tours private or how many people were on them? What was the approximate cost? Thanks!

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
231 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isabela land-based tour trip report

Las Tuneles was not a private tour - it lasted 5 hours, t hey provided a small lunch and it was $60pp. there were 4 additional people on the tour.

Our Las Tintoreras and Sierra Negra tours were private (just the 4 of us). I'm not sure how much the others cost since we paid them in once sum, but it cost around $130pp for both tours, the lunch was $15 extra pp. It was probably about $30 for Las Tintoreras, $110 for the Sierra Negra/hiking.

We did not do any diving since we are not that experienced and I've heard the currents are very strong this time of year making diving a bit challenging.

Calgary
Level Contributor
55 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isabela land-based tour trip report

That seems like a decent price. You can just book them when you get to Isabela?

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
231 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isabela land-based tour trip report

We booked some (las tintoreras and sierra negra) before we left but it was a long process, had to send the deposit via MoneyGram and because our Spanish is not very good and their English is not much better it made it very difficult. We booked the Las Tuneles when we arrived with no problem. in retrospect, I think i would've just arranged the airport pickup before I arrived and everything afterwards - the guide would probably come to your hotel to arrange everything, like he did for us.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isabela land-based tour trip report

That sounds like just what we did! It was amazing and I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!! Isabela island is a magnifacent place to visit and I cant wait to go back!

Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isabela land-based tour trip report

I will be staying at Casa Marita in just a few weeks for my land based tour in the Galapagos. Any other tips or pointers for staying in Islabella or at Casa Marita?

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
231 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isabela land-based tour trip report

First of all, enjoy yourself - we did 4 nights on a boat in the Galapagos, 4 nights on Isabella then 4 nights on Santa Cruz. Loved Isabella the most!! some advice:

1. Bring lots of cash - no ATMs on the island, very few places take credit cards (Casa Marita did so we ate all our meals there).

2. Go to Concha Perla!! It's a 15 minute walk from Casa Marita (in direction away from town), easiest, calmest snorkeling ever.

3. At Casa Marita you need to order your dinner 45-60 minutes in advance at the front desk, then simply go up when it's ready.

4. You don't need to have all of your tours reserved. We used the Isabella Dive Center for Las Tintoreras, Las Tunneles and Sierra Negra.

5. You can also visit the Tortoise Breeding center on your own. it's a 30 minute walk, most of it by a lagoon with flamingos and mangroves with tons of marine iguanas.

6. Even if it is overcast on foggy, still go on the Sierra Negra hike. The hike is through a beautiful jungle, and we were able to see parts of the crater creeping out through the mist.

7. Bring your own snorkeling gear if you can, their selection is limited.

8. Take time out to enjoy the island, sit outside on the hammocks to watch the sunset.

9. Re: Isabela land-based tour trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 12:18
10. Re: Isabela land-based tour trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 22:15