We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choosing a cruise

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Romania
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
choosing a cruise

Hello, After a few days of research I decided to book a cruise and I chose Celebrity Xpedition. Please help me to select between "A Cruise" and " B Cruise " I am interesed in photography -nature ,animals, snorkeling. celebritycruises.com/destinations/home.do…

Thank you

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: choosing a cruise

You don't mention when you'll be traveling, which can make a difference in how important going to Española would be. If you'll be traveling between mid-Dec. and early April, the wondrous Waved Albatross won't be at Española; although Española is a lovely island even without them, it's not as spectacular as when those lovely behemoths are there.

That aside, both itineraries get you away from the inhabited islands with 2 or more stops on the western shore of Isabela and/or Fernandina. Great snorkeling out there in the furthest west areas. Cruise A's highlights are Española (if you'll be there when the albatross are breeding) and 4 stops on the westernmost islands of Fernandina & Isabela. Galápagos Penguins and Flightless Cormorants should be seen there. This itinerary also stops at Floreana, although it doesn't explicitly mention snorkeling at Devil's Crown--one of the best snorkeling spots in the archipelago. You might ask specifically about that.

Cruise B's highlights are 2 stops on Isabela and on Bartolomé, where you might be able to snorkel with the penguins. Since neither itinerary goes to Genovesa (which has the best seabird breeding colonies), at least B gets you to the breeding colonies of the Magnificent Frigatebirds and Blue-footed Boobies on N. Seymour.

Overall, I'd say A is a tad more desirable than B--especially if you can snorkel at Devil's Crown. B has more landings on or near the inhabited islands or islands that can be reached by day trips, where the wildlife live further from the paths than they do on the more distant islands. But you'll see lots of good things on either itinerary.

Tina

trip report http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: choosing a cruise

I've been on Xpedition in May 2012. After carefully picking "A", in February 2012, the itineraries where switched and I've found myself on "B"....

By then, the flights and the cruise were already paid, and switching back to "A" was way too expensive for me.

I'm still trying to find a way to go back and see Espanola, Fernandina, Genovesa and Floreana...

I was not interested in seeing from afar 3 flamingos, the lava fields and Kicker Rock. BUT, I very much enjoyed the hassle-free cruise on Xpedition and the opportunity to get to know almost all 90 passangers during the pre-, cruise and post cruise activities.

Feel free to ask any other questions about Xpedition, in orice caz, voiaj placut

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: choosing a cruise

Hi. I will be traveling with two teenage boys to the Galapagos i mid March on a 7-9 day trip. I am overwhelmed by the number of choices and am trying to get a feel for whether there is a significant difference between the various groups and which is recommended.

Thanks...Kathleen

4. Re: choosing a cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 03:15