We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help- arriving tomorrow and need a swim suit!

Smyrna, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
Help- arriving tomorrow and need a swim suit!

I am arriving on Santa Cruz Island tomorrow and forgot of all things my swim suit. Will I be out of luck for finding a one piece in a larger size or are there any shops that might carry a women´s one piece? Any suggestions or miracles would be greatly appreciated or I fear my once in a lifetime vacation is ruined!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
557 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help- arriving tomorrow and need a swim suit!

Swim in tee shirt and shorts- as light weight as you might have available to you. Depending on how you are doing your trip (cruise or on shore) people might look mildly askance but who cares- you going to ruin your trip over it? I certainly hope not!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help- arriving tomorrow and need a swim suit!

I doubt anyone will look askance on a t-shirt and shorts for snorkeling. (If you have synthetic fabrics, that'll be your best/quickest-drying bet.) On both of our trips, we had several people--men (including my husband) and women alike--who've snorkeled in that attire. Who cares? Just show up at the appointed time in the appointed place and be ready for an awesome adventure. No dress code, in or out of the water--another of the wonders of the Galápagos!

Tina

trip report (and much more) at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help- arriving tomorrow and need a swim suit!

Not exactly related to redhead's original question, but I'd urge everyone (M and F) to wear a tee-shirt while snorkeling. While you're admiring the critters below, the sun is admiring you, and it takes but an instant of in-again/out-again water to work up a nice broiled backside if it's unprotected. For the ladies, a proper top is NOT good enough. Same comment applies to the back of your knees. Use some water-resistant sunscreen, or you'll be a very unhappy camper.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 14:24
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help- arriving tomorrow and need a swim suit!

I grew up in FLa/Caribbean and we always wore thin long sleeve shirts and long pants when snorkeling, on top of sunscreen. Of course this was long before rashguards and sunscreens that were semi-water resistant. All we had was Coppertone.

BTW I had no luck finding larger sized clothing in Ecuador in the local shops. Maybe in a hotel?

I would improvise and not worry.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 19:51
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help- arriving tomorrow and need a swim suit!

There are plenty of shops in Puerto Ayora - I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for there - if your itinerary gives you the opportunity to do so.

Good luck!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
140 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help- arriving tomorrow and need a swim suit!

I agree with Heather. There were shops all over the "downtown" area. They sold everything you could want/need (just about). From swimsuits, to clothes, to snorkeling equipment. There aren't many streets in Puerto Ayora, so its nearly impossible to get lost.

7. Re: Help- arriving tomorrow and need a swim suit!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2014, 05:17