We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Suggestions for Puerto Ayora

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Suggestions for Puerto Ayora

Hello!

My boyfriend and I will be staying in Puerto Ayora for two nights following our Galapagos cruise in April. We are looking for a hotel that is close to (preferably on) the beach, has a bar/restaurant, has hot water and is clean. We are looking at spending around $75 per night but I know Galapagos tends to be expensive and we are flexible with this price. Please let me know of any recommendations or hotels to stay away from. We are in our mid-twenties and like to be relatively close to the action also, thank you!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Suggestions for Puerto Ayora

Puerto Ayora is not really a beach resort - its more a fishing and tourist port. There is a small beach near the Charles Darwin research station (really small) but its a little way from the closest hotel which would be the Red Mangrove. Its also more like $200 a night once you add the tax.

There is a very nice long and mostly deserted beach at Totuga Bay but its a long walk from town (no roads) and there are no facilities at all. Worth a day trip if you take food and water.

The Finch bay is the only hotel I know just a few yards from a beach but its way overpriced now. I think the beach is a public one though.

You might consider staying elsewhere in town and travelling to the beach. Taxi anywhere within town is $1. You need a short boat crossing to get to Finch bay but its ony a few cents.

There is a beach on the other side of the island (El Garrapatero ) but you would need to get a more expensive taxi and arange a return pickup time. Not sure of the exact fare but guess $10-15 each way. I have never been there.

Quito Ecuador
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Suggestions for Puerto Ayora

Hi,

Puerto ayora is a very small place. There are a few Hotels close to the main port but no beahces close. The Hotels that are close to the shore are very expensive but you can find a cheaper hotels on one of the back streets.

I will recommend you to enjoy your cruise and look for a place to stay when you get down to Puerta ayura. just ask the agencies and the people that you meet there.

Good Luck!

Plymouth
Level Contributor
10 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Suggestions for Puerto Ayora

Hi

We are currently in Puerto Ayora after our cruise. We stayed here before the boat aswell and have experienced two waterside hotels.

There is only one choice! Hotel sol y mar. Clean, new rooms, all with balcony and sea view. Right on waters edge with resident sea lions, iguanas and pelicans! Nice bar and near everything including the ace fish market (aka comedy animal performances!) And bars, restaurants, shops ans CDRC. The owner/manager is delightful as are all the staff. The stunning Bahia Tortuga is a 30 minute walk away.

Don't hesitate

Jon and Julie (30's)

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Suggestions for Puerto Ayora

The only beach hotels in Galapagos are in Puerto Villamil, Isabela island. If you think Puerto Ayora is small, then P. Villamil is tiny. I liked it though - that's where we spent short family holidays when we lived in Galapagos - pretty peaceful, no distractions, and much cheaper than P.Ayora, where we lived.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

5. Re: Hotel Suggestions for Puerto Ayora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 05:26