We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reserve a room ahead or just wing it?

USA
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Reserve a room ahead or just wing it?

Hello,

I'm staying for 2 nights in PA to do some diving. I am looking for a clean, safe, cheap room. I don't require anything fancy except for hot water. Should I try to book something ahead or just try to find something when I get there? I will be there during the first week of June 2011.

Thanks,

Carol

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reserve a room ahead or just wing it?

You should be ok by winging it. Galapagos suites might be of interest to you.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

USA
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reserve a room ahead or just wing it?

Thanks, Heather. I saw your post on another thread and checked it out. It looks very nice, but unfortunately is a bit expensive. I am a very no frills backpacker. If it's safe and clean, I'm happy. I don't need much. I'm even considering going without hot water if need be. I see that the Lonely Planet says the Hotel Salinas isn't bad. I read the reviews on TA and they seemed mixed.

I also e-mailed Paul (I saw this on another thread), but have yet to have a response. I'm comfortable just finding something when I get there, especially since I'll have a free day and won't be in any sort of hurry.

I just hope it's not crowded. I wanted to avoid high season, but my work schedule just won't allow me to get away any sooner.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reserve a room ahead or just wing it?

HI Carol,

There are quite a few no frills backpacker places in Puerto Ayora: Hotel Gardner, Espana, Elizabeth, Sir Francis Drake, all running at 25$ per person per night. If it is not a long weekend or a national or international holiday, you should be just fine "winging" it in Puerto Ayora, especially if you are not pressed for time to do a bit of poking around town to find something you like.

Have fun!

USA
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reserve a room ahead or just wing it?

Sounds great! Thanks!

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reserve a room ahead or just wing it?

Hotel Salinas is not my favourite in town. Last time I stayed there, the house lord who lives in one apartment right into the hostel was cooking chicken stew all day and night so my brain picked the smell for 2 months making me un-able to eat that kind of dish for that period of time.

Also they have a nice stereo system with electro house music since 7 am till 11 30 pm non stop.

When I asked them to quit the smell of chicken and electro house beats, they said they can't, is their house.

I will never ever return there in my life.

Most hostels in Puerto Ayora have no concept of Customer service.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reserve a room ahead or just wing it?

Carol,

Lirio de Mar is a great hostel. This is probabbly the only place for backpackers where common sense and client respect is a rule. Price: usd 15 per head. Enjoy it.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Texas
Level Contributor
971 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reserve a room ahead or just wing it?

You might check out La Peregrina in PA. There were quite a few divers there. They have hot water and WIFI. Prices are about $30 to $60 per suite depending on size and number of people.

Really nice people run the place, Tony and Maria Angermeyer.

My suite was #4 I think and it was very quiet. One reviewer said they heard the washing machine all night but my suite was quiet.

There are reviews on Tripadvisor.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reserve a room ahead or just wing it?

Dear Carol,

as Dennis notes, the local small time service providers often have a poor concept of "service" - so you'll need to be careful who you choose. The "backpacker" specials hotels are simply that "backpacker specials". You may want to bring a mosquito net as well.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

9. Re: Reserve a room ahead or just wing it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2012, 05:32
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Ayora