We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of day trips

Which Puerto Ayora hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
50 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of day trips

Hi my husband and I are traveling to Santa Cruz and staying in puerto ayora for 4 nights. We are not asking any cruises and trying to stick to one other island besides exploring Santa Cruz. I would like to go to Bartolome but heard it was the most expensive which is okay but if there was one island that would be the best other than that one? What is the cost of the day trips? We are going April 8th thru the 12 th and I think that isn't a high season but not sure. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of day trips

About $150 for a day trip to Bartolome. Others may be slightly cheaper but not a lot of difference except for the other populated islands.

Bartolome has the best view with chances of penguins nearby, N Seymour is good for Frigate birds and boobies.

The Bartolome trip normally includes both breakfast and lunch on the boat as its an early start - from about 5:30am depending on your pickup point. Others are lunch only.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
50 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of day trips

Thanks Dave !

Do you get to snorkel with the penguins?

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of day trips

By most reports, day trips to Bartolomé typically have you snorkeling around the base of Pinnacle Rock, which is where you may run into a small group of Galápagos Penguins. (To be safe, check before you sign up for the trip.) Don't blink--they're amazingly fast!

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of day trips

As with most wildlife, there is no guarantee of seeing the penguins but you normally get a snorkel on the day trip and there are often penguins in that area.

One thing to be aware of is that you may not get to go back to the boat between the land visit and snorkelling. This means you might have to leave anything large you are carrying on the beach. Not too much of a problem if you are just snorkelling around pinnacle rock from the beach but if they take you out further by panga it can be a bit worrying if you have expensive camera equipment with you. In these cases, I normally decline the panga trip - but thats probably the best chance of penguins.

If you are just carrying a small camera then leave it in the panga in a waterproof bag when you snorkel.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
220 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of day trips

We went on the Bartolome trip last summer - our hotel, Hotel Solymar booked the trip for us. It cost about $175pp, included pickup from the hotel, breakfast, lunch, snacks. We hiked up Pinnacle rock, hiked around a lava rock field then spent a lot of time snorkeling on the beach - it was amazing snorkeling, clear water, incredible variety of fish. We snorkeled with both sea lions and penguins, and have awesome pictures and videos! We also saw penguins on the rocks while taking the panga to shore.

We had gone on both a 4 day cruise and spent several days on Santa Cruz, then Isabella. While my kids will say that their favorite day was when they snorkeled with sharks (including a hammerhead), this one was mine.

6. Re: Cost of day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Ayora