We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must book hostel in advance?

Which Puerto Ayora hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Must book hostel in advance?

Me and my friend are spending a week in Puerto Ayora and are going to do a lot of day trips in July. Do you think hostels will be completely booked up or can we go there without a reservation and find something decent?

We want to stay flexible and maybe do a night in Isabella so trying not to commit to any hostel.

Thanks!

Europe
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Must book hostel in advance?

When I visited Puerto Ayora in 2011 I had booked a hotel in advance, but when I came back in June and July 2013 I hadn't booked anything and there was no problem to find a place to stay. That time I stayed at Hostal Lirio del Mar and Hotel Crossman.

members.virtualtourist.com/m/3fbdb/183a7f/3/

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Must book hostel in advance?

Ferry from Puerto Ayora to P. Villamil leaves at 2:00 pm; returns at 6:00 am -- about 2½ - 3 hours each way. So you need at least 2 nights there. Otherwise, it's just not worth it.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must book hostel in advance?

At least when we were in Puerto Ayora last year, a ferry ran to Isabela early in the morning too -- around 7 a.m., as I recall. I think I've seen others refer to this morning ferry lately, too. But even so, I agree--just 1 night in Puerto Villamil is hardly worth the time. Two nights is often mentioned as the minimum, although recently, Heather strongly suggested 3 nights as the reasonable minimum, given the number of things to do around Puerto Villamil.

Tina

trip reports (and much more) at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Must book hostel in advance?

I did a quick search and could only find the 2:00pm departures from Puerto Ayora, to both P. Villamil and B. Moreno. Maybe there are others at other times -- or maybe I just didn't find them today. But in any case, I think 2 or 3 nights is the absolute minimum if the ferry is involved

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must book hostel in advance?

You can always find something in P. Ayora - but the comfort level of that something may leave room for improvement....

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

6. Re: Must book hostel in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Ayora