We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe travel from Quito to Manta

Baltimore, Maryland
5 posts
Save Topic
safe travel from Quito to Manta

My husband is on a humanitarian mission on the USNS Comfort and will have four days of liberty in Manta. I live in Baltimore and would like to meet him for the four days he has off. Flights are MUCH cheaper into Quito. Is there a safe way of getting from Quito to Manta? I had not planned to get a rental car and did not see flights between the two airports. Any suggestions? I will be traveling alone and wonder if this trip is too dangerous....

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe travel from Quito to Manta

There are 2-3 daily flights to Manta from Quito on Aerogal and Icaro. The flight lasts about 45 minutes, and you can probably find a promotional fare for under $100 RT.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: safe travel from Quito to Manta

Thank you! I really appreciate the information and will be looking up flights now!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: safe travel from Quito to Manta

One more question. Do you have a hotel suggestion for 1 night in Quito (close to the airport)? The flights I have found all get in late and there aren't any flights between Quito and Manta until the following morning. I appreciate your help! I will try posting to the Quito forum as well. thanks!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe travel from Quito to Manta

There are some basic hotels in the vicinity of the airport but I can't vouch for them. In a better area, and more reliable, are the Best Western Plaza and the Sheraton. Late at night, it will take about ten minutes to get to either one. See if they have a shuttle; it will be expensive, but safer for you than having to negotiate with a taxi.

No need to post to Quito, also. Most people read the general Ecuador forum, which combines all of them.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 10:47
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe travel from Quito to Manta

Would taking a bus from Quito to Manta be worth doing? Is it a nice drive with attractive views?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe travel from Quito to Manta

Any road trip in Ecuador is beautiful. It will take 6-8 hours, depending on the number of stops, and part of it will be quite curvy. Sit near the front to lessen the swaying motion. Personally, I'd rather fly to make the most of my time.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe travel from Quito to Manta

Earlier this year four of us drove from Manta to Quito & returned . we drove a hire car. The scenery is certainly beautiful for a lot of the journey but the roads are pretty " so so" & the driving of the locals leaves a lot to be desired!Any buses that we saw were pretty packed so if you go by bus make sure that you get a good seat- I dont know if sitting in the front would be an advantage. driving over the Mountains is pretty scary in places so in the front you would definately get a " birds eye view" !!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safe travel from Quito to Manta

Quite true, Quigie; that's why I recommended sitting NEAR the front so you can't see how the driver is driving! Ecuadorians have their own, unwritten rules of the road. I put together a Top Question on the main Ecuador forum page about renting and driving a car here.

9. Re: safe travel from Quito to Manta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2012, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Manta