We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta to Quito from the cruise ship

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Manta to Quito from the cruise ship

Our cruise ship will arrive in Manta about 5 a.m. and be there about 10 hrs. I'm wondering if anyone has done Quito on there own from there? I hear that doing it from the ship is about $1000.00/person. Is it worthwhile for the time or is it better to just see some things around Manta.

I'm a bit worried about delays with the planes getting back to the ship on time. Thanks for anyone's help. Emerald

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,008 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta to Quito from the cruise ship

Wow, I've not heard of "day trips" from Manta to Quito. The price you were quoted is spectacularly high. I would hope for that price they are also including a good guided tour of Quito's highlights with lunch thrown in--and it's still spectacularly high. The RT flight would be less than $100 each; I wonder if they charter a plane for their passengers? If the return flight were delayed the ship would wait for you. They wouldn't do that for a DIY trip.

The coast along there is quite lovely and is called the Ruta de Spondylus. You could easily make a day trip to Puerto López and the nearby Machalilla national park, a unique stand of dry tropical forest. Los Frailes beach inside the park is completely undeveloped and a beautiful spot; you can hike up to the mirador on the cliff above for an amazing view. Agua Blanca, which is very near the exit to Los Frailes, has a small museum and some ruins of the pre-hispanic peoples. On the way back to Manta the driver can take you through Montecristi, home of the most famous Panama hats. There are a lot of fabricas making the hats in various styles and degrees of quality as well as baskets and ornamental objects of all sorts.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta to Quito from the cruise ship

Thanks. The possibility of a delayed flight is the part that worries me most. I also read that the new airport is about an hour out and then traffic could be terrible as well.

If we stayed around Manta - are there buses that go to Puerto Lopez that you could do it on your own or is feasible and is it safe. We are 2 ladies and like to walk lots doing our own touring.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,008 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta to Quito from the cruise ship

Yes, there are certainly buses to PL. Once you get there you will hire a mototaxi to take you around. Personally, with your time limitations, you might do well to hire a driver for the day. It's fun to do that, and they often know other highlights to take you to, and good places to eat or shop.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta to Quito from the cruise ship

I should have asked before how long a drive it is to there and if we were to do the trip as you suggested - how long would it take?

Do you have any suggestions on drivers and how would we hire one and from where?

Manta, Ecuador
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta to Quito from the cruise ship

When is your trip taken place? Did you hire already? Let me know so I can help.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta to Quito from the cruise ship

Thanks but we are already back home. Decided we didn't have time so just stayed in Manta.

7. Re: Manta to Quito from the cruise ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Manta