We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended stay in Ecuador for 59 yr. old woman

Virginia Beach...
1 post
Save Topic
Extended stay in Ecuador for 59 yr. old woman

Visiting Ecuador for an extended stay ... even possibly permanent. A place to move that is friendly, safe and affordable is very important. I am 59, single, have an 80 lb. 9 yr. old dog, and a Blue and Gold Macaw who will come with me on my second trip. Do not yet speak Spanish, although I learn very fast and am great at non-verbal communication. My initial trip would be to help me decide if retirement would be possible there on my limited budget. I am planning on an initial visit by myself for up to a month to explore the possibilities. I love hiking, the water, animals, culture and art of all kinds. Any tips on where to start, as well as how to go about it would be appreciated.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extended stay in Ecuador for 59 yr. old woman

On the right of the screen is a link that might answer your questions. Also, there are websites designed for those interested in retiring there. We get some questions here, but it is more a traveler's site. You can also return to the Ecuador forum page and use their search option. Maybe using 'retire' or 'retiring' to see what comes up. Few expats write here.

I hope you can find a little piece of heaven for a future move, but know that expat communities do change the surroundings they initially fall in love with, and there have been increases in crime in the areas meaning that expats are leaving areas of Ecuador. Not sure how one strikes a stable and secure balance that is prolonged.

London
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extended stay in Ecuador for 59 yr. old woman

We spent a couple of months in Ecuador earlier this year with the objective of finding a place to live. It is certainly affordable when compared with our home country of the UK. We travelled a lot of the country and decided against the coastal areas because of the climate issue ( I.e. Overcast for around half the year.) Cuenca was very attractive, nice city, great facilities, easily accessible and generally a great environment. The biggest problems however were the high proportion of US expats already there which have altered the culture of the place somewhat and increased prices generally and property prices in particular. Property price inflation is apparently running at circa 15% p.a.

In the end we decided against making a permanent home there mainly because of the political and economic issues facing the country but may well return there to rent a place for say six months of the year.

We also investigated the immigration issues which were not quite as straightforward as is indicated on some forums. That said it is easier to get in than in many other South American countries although I have heard rumours that entry requirements are set to change.

3. Re: Extended stay in Ecuador for 59 yr. old woman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Manta