We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

Iowa
Level Contributor
301 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

I've decided to do Egypt solo.

I have transportation/tour guides set up for all areas except Abu Simbel. I'm using Viator & the Mara house guides- both inexpensive, so that I will always be escourted.

I can't seem to find anyone offering private tours in Abu Simbel.

I know the temples are close to the Seti Hotel, but I am worried about being a single female (blonde) alone there...just walking down the street. No I do not want to do a group tour :)

Will I be safe walking alone & spending the night alone in the Seti Hotel? I would not worry at all but I have 2 toddlers at home waiting for my return.

Thanks!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

Hi G,

I think that you'll be safe in Abu Simbel. Generally speaking, touristic places and hotels in Egypt are very safe. That includes Seti hotel.

There are many tour organisers in Aswan that offer private tours in Abu Simbel. I can recommend the ones I know such as www.TheFreelancers.info

CHEERS!

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

I wouldn't worry about being there solo at all. I went with my young son and had no problems. The temples are not far from the Seti Hotel so if you didn't want to walk then you could easily arrange a taxi to take you.

BTW you do not need a guide for Abu Simbel. When I went a man was waiting inside the entrance(he looked official but who knows!) and said that he would give me a talk on them. He explained the history of the temples then left us to explore. He only wanted a small tip.

Karen

London
Level Contributor
393 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

Yes, I can't think of anywhere in the world that I would consider to be safer than Abu Simbel. You may get comments from local men about how beautiful you are etc, and whether you are married, but these are made in a very light hearted, tongue-in-cheek way. But no matter how many comments might be made, any kind of physical assault is virtually unheard of. I always feel incredibly safe when walking round Luxor, and have said many times that I would feel safe walking on my own at 2 in the morning in Luxor whereas I wouldn't consider walking to my local shops in London alone after dark. I would class Abu Simbel in another league altogether, and the Abu Seti Hotel is one of the most delightful places I have ever stayed in. WIthout exception all the staff we met when we were there were lovely, and went out of their way to help us. I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip - I'm very envious!

Iowa
Level Contributor
301 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

Thank you everyone for the replies! It's hard to get an idea of a place via the internet only. I feel much more confident now with my plans of spending the night there. I went ahead & booked air today. I'm very excited :) Everything is pretty far from Iowa (LOL) so I don't get to roam that far often.

Thanks again!

Rebecca

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,330 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

I must question what Growlybear says - not about Abu Simbel but about London. If he/she can't go shopping after dark, that must be very limiting in winter when it is dark at 3! I am a small female and never have any trepidation walking anywhere in London at any time. Neither does my 19 year old daughter. Please see the London forum if you are concerned.

London
Level Contributor
393 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

I've lived in south London for all of my adult life, and no, I wouldn't dream of walking down my road alone after dark. I accept that central London and major shopping areas are completely different, but I wouldn't be happy letting my 16 year old daughter walk home from the station after dark and I don't feel safe being out anywhere locally on my own after dark.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

I have to comment that is really sad -- you can't leave your house after dark? I would move!

London
Level Contributor
393 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

No, I didn't say that at all. What I said was that I wouldn't walk alone down the roads near where I live after dark. I work several nights each week and living in my area doesn't stop me from doing that - if I go out at night I drive, book a taxi, or go out with my husband or friends.

Iowa
Level Contributor
301 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I have my trip almost fully booked now & I am SO excited. I will post a trip report when I return in April. I would have never even considered booking a trip like this as an independent traveler before finding TA. I have the perfect maps, books & resources needed...just waiting for April :)

Rebecca

10. Re: Private tour abu simbel for solo female?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 14:15