We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Abu Simbel

Which Abu Simbel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Abu Simbel

Egypt Air has changed the flight times for day flights from Cairo to Abu Simbel in February - they now don't arrive into Abu Simbel until 10.40am and then you have to fly out at 1pm.

Question - is this sufficient time to get to-and-from the airport to Abu Simbel, see the temple, and return to the airport? Or should I cancel the booking becuase it is simply too short a time between arriving and departing and not enough tinme to do justice to the temple?

Thanks for your help. Chris

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Abu Simbel

I would say that between 90 minutes and 2 hours is sufficient time to see the temples.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
195 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Abu Simbel

Hi Chris. When going to abu simbel by car, the trip allows for about 1.5hrs to see the sites so you should have enough time but it will be tight. Thx. Kim

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
188 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Abu Simbel

If there is so little to see is it worth the trip.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Abu Simbel

Actually u need 2 hours to finish your visit cos you have to walk both ways for more than 20 minutes inside the temple to reach inside it from where the car drops you

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Abu Simbel

Y57 Yes it is worth it, The Temples are impressive for their scale and the engineering marvel of their move. As the insides are small and photography is not permitted, most people spend the majority of their visit outside admiring the facades and taking the obligatory snaps.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Abu Simbel

Abu Simbel is not to be missed. Question for you is you are flying from Cairo to Abu Simbel. Are you not visiting Aswan? If you spend sometime in Aswan then there are more options for getting to Abu Simbel. If your only option is the flight from Cairo I would take it. It will be a long day with the flights.

The airport at Abu Simbel is close to the temple so the travel time will not be long. Remember that you will need to arive at the airport early for check in. You will have to hire a drive once you get to Abu Simbel and have them wait so you have no snags. Ariving later in the morning may be a good time to see the temple as the rush of tourists visiting from Aswan by bus will be leaving and you will only have a few visitors with you. Most likely the ones that came on the plane.

You may want to check with Egyptair if there is a bus that goes from the airport to the temple and back.

Abu Sibel is truley amazing.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
173 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Abu Simbel

Abu Simble is excellent, one of the best sites in Egypt. If you are flying I'd recommend getting a seat at the front of the plane, this way you'll be among the first to leave the plane and the first to leave the airport, so you'll arrive at the temple ahead of the crowds. it's only a short drive from the airport to the site.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Abu Simbel

Regarding yols57's query about whether "is it worth it?": I am struggling with the same question.

I think a better would be: is Abu Simbel worth it over whatever you can see in elsewhere in Egypt in that time period. If you are flying from Aswan, then it is simply a question of roughly 7 hours; if from Cairo or Sharm or Luxor, it is a whole bunch of money for a very, very long day if it is at all possible (for the days that I am looking at, anyway, there are no direct flights). In that time I'd be able to see plenty of comparable sites in Egypt.

It seems to me, that we get to Aswan, that it would be "worth it" to do a day trip to Abu Simbel (fly or road), but from any other place in Egypt, it would not make sense.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Abu Simbel

I only think it is worth it, if you stay overnight & see the temples floodlit during the Sound & Light.

Links on my other post

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,097 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Abu Simbel

I agree with pdmylnek. It is impressive mainly for its size and location in the desert, which was the original point of it- a statement designed to terrify potential invaders from the South and tell them they were entering a superpower.

It's worthwhile from Aswan, but IMO is only one of several things you can see near there and it's still a long journey.

From Luxor or Cairo, there are many other equally interesting things to see for your time and money.