We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo to Dahab

Wigan
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo to Dahab

Hi, me and my girlfriend are thinking of getting a mini bus to transfer us from Le Meridien Hotel in Giza to Le Meridien Hotel in Dahab on 8th April 2009. Does anybody have any advice on cost, contacts and if anyone traveling from Cairo to Dahab on this date would be interested in sharing the mini bus and cost.

Also, if anyone has done this before, is there much to see on the way and how long is it likely to take.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo to Dahab

I have travelled from Cairo to Dahab several times although it was a few years ago. I used to get the East Delta buses and travel through the night. It's about a 8-10 hour journey but the buses are comfortable and clean. I think I paid about £8 for the ride...

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Have you thought about getting an internal flight to Sharm and then taxi to Dahab? It's an hours journey by taxi.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo to Dahab

the mini bus can be cramped and uncomfortable - be warned! Superjet have a bus from the Turgoman Garage in Cairo 7 hours, about 75LE to Sharm, the bus from sharm to Dahab 1 hour 11LE, taxi to hotel about 5LE per person.

It's up to you how yo travel, honestly the bus is very easy!

Or, the local bus as previously recommended to you, again from Turgoman Garage, about 85LE direct Cairo-Dahab.

I usually overnight on the bus, there isn't much to see, desert, desert and more desert so sleeping through the journey is a good option!

You could fly, but it will be much more expensive, not just the flight but taxis at either end too (Sharm airport to Dahab will be at least 180-200 LE), and consider your carbon footprint.

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo to Dahab

Hippie... I think Girraffe means renting a whole minibus, not sharing one of the public minibuses that operate, ( which I would not recommend ).

If one is on a very tight budget then yes there is the public bus services like East Delta but bear in

mind that the Cairo - Dahab East Delta bus service is a slow service that stops at places like Ras Sudr, Tor and Sharm on the way, taking about 10 hours, and if one takes a faster non-stop bus to Sharm in order to catch the Dahab bus from there one still has to wait in Sharm and thus one does not save any time, ( but lands up paying more ). Then as well, one has to get to Torgamon from the Meridian Giza which will cost a pretty penny and also take up quite a bit of time.

No... the best thing is to do as Girraffe asks, rent your own transfer, either saloon car with driver or minibus, the later will most likely be a Hyundai H1 or Toyota Hiace both of which are perfectly comfortable for 2 - 6 persons and which will cost in the region of LE 900 - 1200 one way. The vehicle will not have to go the same way as the public buses which is down the west coast all the way to Sharm and then up to Dahab, a distance of 600 km, but head either straight across Sinai and down the east coast past Nuweiba, distance 540 km, or up past St Catherine and then to Dahab, about 560 km.

Either of those routes have some beautiful scenery.

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo to Dahab

On a different thread, mention was made of the Blue Cab... www.thebluecab.com which might solve your dilema.

Wigan
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo to Dahab

Thank you for your very informative replies, we will get a private mini bus, see some scenary and save a bit of money.

Girraffe

6. Re: Cairo to Dahab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations