We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

Winchelsea, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

Could anyone please advise me of a good taxi firm. My friend and I are travelling to Dahab in March and we need to book a taxi to take us from the airport to the Tropitel in Dahab. Obviously we don't want to get ripped off - 2 females having a 2 week holiday without the husbands so we need to take care!!!! We don't want a shuttle, we just want to go straight to our hotel. Thanks for any suggestions.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

we used dahabinfo.com, the cost was 30 euros each way payable in advance via paypal. the driver out there was of the foot to th floor all the way variety but at least we got their quickly and just about in one piece.

Scotland
Level Contributor
618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

Have you booked accomodation? If so your hotel or guest house should be able to arrange a transfer. The rate is LE150 in a taxi for one person. LE210 for two people - total.

finn-chick recently posted on this forum that..."Travel Republic airport transfer is good value. I took it last month and it cost me around £16 one way." That's also a fair price.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

Did you ask Tropitel in Dahab if they can arrange a pick-up and how much it would cost?

I just checked http://dahabinfo.com , but there is nothing on it. Maybe they're just re-doing the site, I remember seeing it in the past.

If Tropitel cannot arrange transport or too expensive, I believe you can contact some of the smaller places, they wouldn't mind I think. They organize all kind of services, not only provide accommodation. As far as I know Sheikh Salem House, Jowhara Hotel and Alaska Camp are managed by Brits - maybe they can help.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

We had a near miss with our pre-booked transfer with Travelrepublic on the return journey - they were nearly an hour late from the pre-decided time! Some hold up in Sharm apparently, couldn't quite understand the driver. The Tropitel Oasis booked us a taxi as we were gettimg worried, think it was to cost LE300. Cancelled it as our driver eventually turned up!

Scotland
Level Contributor
618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

It's a bummer! It's like, "welcome to Egypt and here's your first rip-off," with too many of these reports.

Last year I emailed Sindbad Camp that I was coming. They called their regular taxi people in Dahab and said pick this guy up, here's the flight number and he'll pay you LE150. It's a fair price for the driver and if he can tie it in with a customer going down to Sharm, all the better. The Camp didn't cream anything off for themselves and the taxi folk will get more of their business in the future. And the drivers they use are Bedouin so that's money going to the locals.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

you can use Bedouina Transfers, they have very high standard minibusses, with seatbelts, and drivers drive at reasonable speed (not the case of many drivers in Egypt otherwise!), their email is info@bedouina.com.eg

the price is around 30 EUR for up to 4 persons

stjarnsund
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

Hi Just got back from Dahab and we got tripped off paying 300 Lei for a taxi from the airport to Dahab, not preebooked, just cathing one there..payed 180 Lei yesterday from Dahab to airport..Carina

Scotland
Level Contributor
618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

Don't beat yourself up. The Sharm taxi drivers are the first Red Sea sharks you encounter. And as long as they stick together - and they do - no one's going to step out of line at the airport and offer you a fair price.

northants
Level Contributor
36 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

Hi Julie

I used Dahab info site as well in September, they were absolutely fine at 30 euros per journey.

I did get a local taxi back to airport for 180 le however the amount I spent on my mobile phone chasing them up came to far more than 30 euro,s!

I,m also going Tropitel in March with my mate and will be using dahab-info again.

Also the currency rate was better in Dahab then the UK - even the ATM machine gave the same rate so it was better to change money out there.

Hope this helps,

Kozza

Winchelsea, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private taxi from Sharm airport to Dahab

Thanks for the info - will probably use the Dahab info site. Do you have to pay them in Euros, Sterling or LE? Good tip about changing money in Dahab - when I went to Thailand with husband last September the rate out there was heaps better than the rate offered at the Post Office! We chose the Tropitel because of the good reviews but I guess a holiday is what you make of it. Any more tips ? Thanks Julie

Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations