We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling

Which Dahab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
snorkelling

Hi all, we love to snorkel, prefer off the beach. Would you recommend blue hole, 3 pools or somewhere else?

We have our own gear, so would you do a tour or just get a taxi? If so, how much to pay and is it easy to get one back or do they wait there for you?

Thanks, slim

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling

Hi slim. I’ve snorkelled at the Blue Hole with a guide. We went in at Bells (28° 34.411'N 34° 32.346'E) and drifted south to the Blue Hole (28° 34.352'N 34° 32.229'E ) for our exit. I think you have to go there with a guide or as part of an organised trip. Not entirely sure so I’ll ask my guide (who is also my son) when I next speak to him. I have also snorkelled at The Island (28° 28.640'N 34° 30.699'E) but the current and wind can be quite strong here. One of my favourites is Napoleon Reef (28° 28.101'N 34° 30.373'E). I have also been on a boat trip to Gabr El Bint (28° 21.211'N 34° 26.002'E). Another very popular site is Lighthouse (28° 29.932'N 34° 31.175'E) but it was very busy on the day we went there. If you copy / type the co-ordinates into Google Earth / Maps you will have an idea of where they are as they may be within walking distance of your hotel. When are you thinking of going?

Phil

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply. We'll prob go Sunday. Can't decide between 3 pools and blue hole but only got our guide book to go on so if someone has a better suggestion we'd go with that? Also, any idea of taxi prices much appreciated.

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling

There are plenty of decent snorkelling spots around Dahab that you can simply walk to. See a full list below:

alternativeegypt.com/Dahab/Snorkelling-in-Da…

You will need to transport to get to the Blue Hole. Travel agencies arrange vehicles each day which are pretty cheap to be honest. Alternatively you can ask a taxi and give him a time to pick you up. In any case it's won't cost much. Shop around and compare prices.

Have a great trip!

Scotland
Level Contributor
616 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkelling

http://www.dahab.net/english/Dahab-Map.html

Where the dive flags are shown you can also snorkel. Particularly good - if the waves are calm - is to go in at Eel Gardens and drift down the reef to the Lighthouse. As Phil says, the Islands is an excellent spot but if the tide is low or the surf is big it's tricky to get over the edge of the reef. There's a notch where you go over, follow the divers. I think we paid LE100 for four of us in a jeep to the Blue Hole and the driver waited till we wanted to go back. You don't need a guide. Walk over the rise to the north - past the memorial to dead divers - and go in at the Bells. Snorkel along the reef and come out at the bridge/jetty at the Blue Hole.

5. Re: snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:41
Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations