We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Kidnapping

Which Dahab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Another Kidnapping

Just read online that an American couple were abducted from their tour bus whilst travelling to St Catherine's Monastery. The incident happened on a major road outside Cairo last Friday & reports state they were released, thankfully unharmed and apparently well treated, earlier today. Their kidnapper was reported to be an Egyptian Bedouin demanding the release of a relative.

The article states that the route to the monastery is a frequent target by Bedoiuns who target tourists in order to get their demands met.

Does anyone have any further information on this & are incidents of this kind becoming more prevalent? If so then do you think the FCO will issue a 'no travel' warning for this area.

We have booked to visit Dahab in November so I dearly hope things settle down.

Many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Kidnapping

Cant find anything with a Google search, Sure this wasnt the one last February.

Garry

Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Kidnapping

No this is recent they were released yesterday put kidnapping in egypt in google search bar and the stories will come up. Two americans and their guide taken.

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Kidnapping

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173671/Egypt-a…

Sorry, I should have included the link - copy & paste the above link & hopefully it should take you to the article.(Daily Mail 17 July 2012).

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Kidnapping

The FCO will act when it decides there is a threat to UK nationals in the area. Sporadic kidnappings, without wanting to sound as though I am minimising them, are luck of the draw.

We have to remember that for every kidnapping or incident there are hundreds and thousands of tourists enjoying a fantastic holiday many of whom are blissfully unaware of what might happen.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 09:35
5. Re: Another Kidnapping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2012, 13:01
Saint Catherine...
Level Contributor
79 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Kidnapping

OK, looks like they were near Ras Sidr, northwest Sinai, 60km south of Suez... and might even have been in North Sinai. Still a bit sad they had to mention St. Catherine as their destination, cause it doesn't have anything to do with this abduction.... or it being posted in the Dahab forum for that matter.

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Kidnapping

The article clearly states that tourists heading for St Catherine's Monastery were being targeted - hence the mention.

Many, many tourists visit the monastery whilst holidaying in Dahab - hence the mention.

And for that matter the article includes the following quote:

'The tourists had been travelling to the sixth-century St. Catherine's Monastery, located at the foot of Mount Sinai where the Old Testament says Moses received the stone tablets with the Ten Commandments.

The route to the monastery is a frequent target by Bedouins who abduct tourists to pressure police to meet their demands, '

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Kidnapping

Also press reports follwing the abduction of the American tourists in May stated the following:

'The tourists were abducted late on Wednesday near the resort of Dahab on the Red Sea, the official said, adding that talks were under way in a bid to secure their release.'

So personally I think it is more than relevant to mention St Catherine's & also appropriate to post it on the Dahab forum,

Edited: 18 July 2012, 22:49
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,771 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Kidnapping

It's a long time till your trip so would be pure conjecture as to what the situation may be. The Foc advice is a bit broad and you should keep reading the detail.

If you are wanting to go outside the resort on your hol it would be worth a quick call to your insurance company just to check that you have cover. An follow the Foc advice to check the current situation with your tour operator in resort.

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Kidnapping

Sue bovington - good advice about contacting the insurance company, I'll do that. I've also registered with the FCO Locate service which enables them to know where you are in case of any problems - not really because of the situation in Egypt but because we do go to far flung places. It looks a really good idea & I now register every trip we take abroad.

To be quite honest I'm not overly concerned about the kidnapping - or general unrest - in Egypt. I'm more concerned my holiday might be cancelled! The other problem of course is that stories like this do affect the tourist industry & I would hate Egypt to be taken off the map.

We loved Dahab (our first & only foray into Egypt), have recommended it to many, & can't wait to return but some people might be nervous & I feel they should be made aware of these problems.

Fingers crossed everything settles down & the Egyptian people can get their tourist industry back on track throughout the entire country - goodness knows they deserve it.

Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations