We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One for the divers - shark sightings?

Which Dahab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
One for the divers - shark sightings?

Hi, I am off to Dahab for a week's diving in September. I have heard reports that you mainly see small stuff in Dahab due to all the fishing in the area. Anyone had any sightings of the larger stuff or even sharks in the area?

Just to be clear, I am very happy to dive with the smaller stuff and have a potter round the reefs as will be just starting with photography, but it's always nice to see our grey coated friends :)).

Thanks

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One for the divers - shark sightings?

Hi FayeW. My son has worked as a diving instructor / UW photographer in Dahab / Nuweiba for the last 3 years. He is currently up in Nuweiba. His UW photos will show you what to expect - http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/. For sharks, he tells me, you usually have to go down to Ras Mohammed or off Tiran island. But they are still a rare sighting.

Have a great time.

Phil

Scotland
Level Contributor
616 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One for the divers - shark sightings?

Superb photos from your son, Phil.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One for the divers - shark sightings?

Thanks Gordon. He sells the odd one but mostly does it as a hobby.

Phil

London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One for the divers - shark sightings?

Amazing photos, thanks!! Yeah I've seen sharks off Ras and Tiran but unlikely to be diving there on this trip. Planning on doing some nice relaxing shore diving. I haven't seen a frog fish yet so maybe I'll get lucky with one of those :))

london
Level Contributor
956 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One for the divers - shark sightings?

Hi there

We have never seen a shark in two trips to Dahab or indeed in 2 wkkes in Sharm or on a Northern Liveaboard.

However the condition of the reefs, the clarity of the water and the fish life are all absolutely world class. Also the town itself has a unique atmosphere, you will love it I'm sure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: One for the divers - shark sightings?

Shark sightings in Dahab are uncommon but not out of the question. As well as the odd reef shark and leopard shark, there have been Whale Shark sightings at Gabr el Bint. There is small stuff in abundance but Turtles and occasionally Dolphins are also around so keep your eye out.

London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One for the divers - shark sightings?

Fab, thanks everyone. I can't wait!!

Dahab, Egypt
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One for the divers - shark sightings?

Ask to dive Bannerfish bay for the frog fish, seahorses and red sea walkman :) Best to find a guide who knows where to find them too! look out for octopus and I saw a manta ray on a night dive there. turtles love the Blue hole and it has been known for small hammerheads to come to Blue Hole although I never saw one!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One for the divers - shark sightings?

Wish i had a camera half as good as your sons Phil! Those pics are great :)

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One for the divers - shark sightings?

Thanks Lesley150. The camera is a Canon 550D nothing special but the case and strobes cost in total about 4 to 5 times the cost of the camera! About 3 weeks ago he was leading a dive of 10 up near Nuweiba and they came across 2 Whale Sharks. I think he said that 8 of the other divers saw them but he didnt have his camera as he was leading.

Phil

Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations