We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curfew affecting Dahab?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
74 posts
708 reviews
Save Topic
Curfew affecting Dahab?

Hi, just wondering if anyone has direct information on how the curfew is affecting Dahab. We are due to travel there shortly, and are staying in independently booked private accommodation, so would that mean we were effectively housebound with no restaurants open etc at night if a curfew were in place?

I realise these are absolutely trivial concerns compared to what people are suffering in parts of Egypt, but would appreciate any info.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
907 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Curfew affecting Dahab?

From what I have been told from the curfew last week, the only problem was travel between Sharm and Dahab after dark. Travellers arriving after dark were having to stay overnight in Sharm. The town of Dahab was open but not sure about travelling from accommodation to the town this time, seems more serious. Like you trivial compared to what the Egyptian people of going through.

cornwall
Level Contributor
55 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Curfew affecting Dahab?

Just spoken to mine and been told cant leave hotel from 7pm to 7am,whole reason we go is for the town of Dahab :( can't cancel either unless want to loose all our money x

uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Curfew affecting Dahab?

if you are one of the people who will have to spend a night in sharm before transfer- then you can cancel as this is a major change- go into the shop and make it clear you know that you can cancel and that you will now be instructing a lawyer- They will back down over this - it may take you a few hrs but they know this is a major change- they will try and throw in out with their control (but legaly it is not as you have not left the UK yet and they have advance info, but do not back down, in fact take a lawyers number with you and if it comes to it call them from the shop. good luck

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Curfew affecting Dahab?

I have rang several times and been in, but each time they say I loose the money because they can not change it. We fly next wed and will land at 8:20pm, so if curfew still in place, what will happen? night at the airport? I am really frustrated and want to change the destination.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
907 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Curfew affecting Dahab?

Laura, if you are booked through a company they will be putting you up in a hotel in sharm overnight (that is my belief on this) and on to Dahab in the morning, thus losing another day with travel. I thought if the FCO said it was unsafe the travel companies were obliged to send you somewhere else. I have 7 weeks yet so hopefully will be sorted. Take care.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Curfew affecting Dahab?

In Dahab now. Been fab if a bit quieter than last year. Hotel normally has a bus 3 times a day into Dahab busses cancelled yesterday but back on tonight. We had to stay in Sharm 1st night not good but have had a fab holiday so far and been into Dahab quite a few times. Such a shame for the locals as they need tourists so much

cornwall
Level Contributor
55 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Curfew affecting Dahab?

Steph are you in Dahab town tonight? I was told had to stay in hotel 7pm to 6am? Am confused and rather stressed :( x

cornwall
Level Contributor
55 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Curfew affecting Dahab?

I've booked with on the beach (on line company) they were no help what so ever :( x

London
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Curfew affecting Dahab?

Hi all. I live in Dahab. Just to reassure everyone, the town is calm and peaceful as always.

The curfew was not noticeable in the centre of town at all! The bars and restaurants were all still open until the early hours. The curfew only affected us because of travel to and from Sharm.

However, the news from yesterday evening is that the curfew has been lifted for the South Sinai.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Curfew affecting Dahab?

We didn't go into Dahab last night but some people we've met did and there was no problem. Every time we've been in it has been fairly quiet apart from a few cars tooting and flashing their lights on Tuesday but not threatening at all

Edited: 16 August 2013, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations