We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Travel IQ test

Rochdale
Level Contributor
225 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
TA Travel IQ test

Hi all

Happy 2008 and we hope it brings everything we all wish for -- sun, sand and El Gouna.

Can anyone tell us how to get more than a score of 3 on the TA test..

Our (my) geography is not brill but it can't be that bad. We have tried all the different options but are absolutely rubbish at this and after looking at the top scores we feel ashamed.

Please help us as we are now feeling we should be holidaying in other parts of the world.

Did they teach us this geography in school in the ....'s

From a very ashamed

Janet n Steve

Mentioned in this post
El Gouna
El Gouna
Hurghada, Egypt
Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA Travel IQ test

Hi Janet & Steve

Its only the world option that records your IQ

Using a mouse is easier than a laptop trackpad and the bigger the screen you have helps you see the smaller countries better . If you havent a clue an educated guess is worth it and the quicker you click the more points you get .

I cant crack the last level and am still way off the top scores. My Africa and South America knowledge is letting me down.

Essex. UK
Level Contributor
223 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA Travel IQ test

Hi Janet, Steve and David

I am also pretty ashamed of my score and wished that it wasn't shown to the world every time I post - I even managed to get the wrong continent for some of my choices (although happy to say I managed to get within 63kms of London on the map!). But then, I always knew I was rubbish at geography. I'm not very well travelled and started to wonder whether we should consider travelling elsewhere other than El Gouna.

But then again, why should we? Currently sitting in the flat with a temperature reading of 20C looking out over the lagoon with the sun shining. Admittedly the wind is howling (we're on day one of the three day windy spell), but out of the wind it is beautifully warm. Evenings are noticeably chilly - pack a fleece or two Janet.

Guessing that Geordie is here now? Is he likely to have an internet connection? Not heard anyone yelling from a tok tok flying past the back of the flat yet!

Angela

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
El Gouna
El Gouna
Hurghada, Egypt
Rochdale
Level Contributor
225 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA Travel IQ test

Hi David and Angela

David - Have the same problem with Africa and South America. (Now got our tickets so will be in touch in a couple of days)

Angela - glad to hear the weather is good, hope it stays that way and we don't get 3 windy days out of our 7. Hope you are relaxing and eating out as much as you can.

Just remember when you get back home to the cold,freezing, wet, snowy weather you will have loads of time to improve your score.

Is it cold enough for jeans in the evening or will long linen pants be warm enough? It is really strange trying to think what to pack for the sun and trying on stuff to see if it still fits after the xmas splurge when it is so horrid at home. Note to Steve - please turn up the heating so I can try on my summer clothes!

Geordie will now be in Y39-06 taking advantage of all the mod cons for the next 3 weeks (I am so jealous). Hope he remembers to yell out loud from his tok tok past your apartment just so you can go out and say 'is that you geordie from TA' but your voice will probably get lost in the wind (ha ha)

Janet n Steve

Essex. UK
Level Contributor
223 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TA Travel IQ test

Hi Janet

Evenings are a bit up and down at the moment - but John is certainly in jeans every night last night he added two fleeces, a scarf and a wooly hat to the mix for the tok tok ride! I was comfortable in a long heavy-ish skirt, long sleeved top and a fleece. Wind has died off a lot today though, so this evening will probably be a bit warmer (I'm not being much help am I?!).

Met a couple last night who are staying in the Arena Inn and El Gouna for the first time - they said never again to both - the main complaints were the wind (unfortunately that's a fact of life here though and one of the reasons why wind surfing is so big! And of course can be very welcome in the hotter months) and that it is far too quiet. Admittedly it is quiet at the moment, but that's never bothered me; and some of the shops and restaurants were closed last night because of Coptic Christmas. But then, they did say that they own a place in Spain and, if they are happy in the Spanish Costas, then I can sort of see why El Gouna might not be for them - perhaps we should have pointed them towards Smugglers or Boxers?

Angela

Mentioned in this post
El Gouna
El Gouna
Hurghada, Egypt
Essex. UK
Level Contributor
223 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TA Travel IQ test

Sorry, just read back my last post and realise it might cause offence - I didn't mean it to sound derogatorive - I guess it's a case of each to his or her own.

Angela

PS BBC weather says RAIN is forecast here for Wednesday. And I just heard that last Friday's XL flight from Gatwick had a 30 hour delay!

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TA Travel IQ test

Silly me I can't find the test, can someone send me a link please

thanks

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,969 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TA Travel IQ test

The test is the TRAVEL IQ box by your name on your posts;-) I have given up and will admit that I am rubbish at it!

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,969 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TA Travel IQ test

Oh sorry you can do the test by clicking on the box then going into the game.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TA Travel IQ test

Funny, but my score has changed mysteriously on its' own. Two weeks ago, it jumped up to 132, then the other day it dropped back down...without my playing the game. Beats me : - )

It is one of those games where you have to be patient...and I find that rather frustrating.

Those of you who indicated that you were embarrassed...don't be. It's Hit or Miss. And the more you play, the higher the score because of the repetiveness.

Too bad that I have a job, a child, dog, house and yard to keep me busy (lol)

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TA Travel IQ test

OMG senior moment, I didn't even see that!!!! thanks

Get answers to your questions about El Gouna