We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From El Gouna to Cairo

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
From El Gouna to Cairo

Hi, we are a couple and we are going to visit El Gouna in the beginning of March. We would like to visit Cairo and maybe also Luxor. To Cairo it is probably best travel by plane. Is it possible to go there without a guide and take a taxi from the Cairo airport or what is the best way.

And how about to go to Luxor?

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
792 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From El Gouna to Cairo

FROM EL GOUNA YOU CAN EASILY GET A BUs , IT IS CHEAP AND CONFORTABLE and the trip take almost 6 to 8 hours , for luxor u must use the plane the trip is so long

El Gouna, Egypt
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From El Gouna to Cairo

Hi Ansund,

You didn't mention how long you will be staying in El Gouna, if you are pannning to take both trips I would expect two weeks.

Taking a trip to Cairo, flying is the best option, as the 450km trip by road is not for the faint hearted. Personally I would also stay overnight in Cairo if you are looking to visit the well known places of interest. I would also arrange transfers from/to the aiport through the Hotel to avoid problems. Having visited Cairo many times myself, and having friends who recently vsited there, I think a guide is a must. Our friends highly recommended the guy they used there last month.

Luxor - Travelling from El Gouna, by road is your only real option here . The journey is around 5 -5.5hrs each way. This drive time alone means stayng overnight, also I would sugest 2-3 days there, and here's a possible itinerary. Day 1 Travel to Luxor, check in hotel. Take the Sound and light show at Karnak, followed by a litle wander around Luxor and dinner. Day 2 - Valley of the Kings/Temple of Hatshepsut and if time Workers tombs/Valley of the Queens. Day 3 Karnak (in the daylight!) and Luxor temples. Travel back to El Gouna. Again I would say a guide is a the best way to go. We also had a great guy on our last trip.

There are a number of Tour companies that will offer these transfers. About a month ago we paid 450LE total for Luxor to El Gouna (one way) in a minbus for four people.

In both cases, don't forget to take passports/ID's . . .

Hope this has been helpful -

Enjoy El Gouna!

Il Ustaaz D :)

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From El Gouna to Cairo

Hi, and thanks for the advices. I think we'll take a guided tour to Cairo by plane. And may we'll forget Luxor this time.

Thanks of the tip to remember to take our passports with us to Cairo:)

Can you recommend any guide or guided tour?

4. Re: From El Gouna to Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2012, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about El Gouna
Recent Conversations