We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just got back

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
just got back

........from a week at the panorama bungalows......hotel could do with a lick of paint.....and didn't really enjoy eating from plastic plates....but we had a great time.....the staff were absolutely brilliant.....the only gripes i had at all were the shopkeepers at zeytouna beach were far too pushy trying to sell their tat and just didn't seem to understand the term '' no thank you''...........and the ignorance of the russian guests at our hotel towards the staff .....it was embarrassing at times to see how some humans behave towards others.....i hate being made to feel uncomfortable by rudeness......and they made me feel very uncomfortable.......and it was the rule rather than the exception.....having said that i would go back tomorrow

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just got back

Glad you had a good time. I'm off to the Movenpick on Tuesday.

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just got back

you'll have a great time i'm sure.....i'm jealous

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just got back

treaclesoldman

As you may remember, we are booked to go to the same hotel in March and am dying to hear more about the place after a few (in my opinion) suspicious reviews, some very good and some the opposite. Are you going to do a review? Pleeeease say yes!

Did you have a bungalow on the lagoon in the long row, one in the gardens or one over the beach on the other side? Also what was the food like? Are all the plates plastic or just the ones at the pool or beach bar? If the restaurant ones are plastic, we will take our own china ones.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Wid.

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just got back

Hi wid,we had a bungalow on the lagoon where you can walk down the steps and swim in the lagoon,if you are expecting 5 star you'll be disappointed,as i said the place is looking a bit tired but don't let it detract from your holiday you'll have a great time,the staff are absolutely wonderful,if you tip the guy who does the boat shuttle run and the guys at the beach bar they'll treat you like royalty,don't tip every day and don't tip too much just a little and they really appreciate it.

the beach/pool towels have 2 catagories,real nice clean fluffy ones for the english and the dutch,and rather threadbare worn out looking ones for the russians (who they don't seem to like very much).they did have plastic plates in the dining hall,although they were china at the beach bar.

i found the food adequate,there was not a day where there wasn't something i could eat and enjoy,my wife however (who i stated previously)is quite a fussy eater she only eats chicken based meals and salads,she thought the food was wonderful and she ate more than any holiday we have previously been on,so opininions on the food will always be sujective,if you are after a gourmet dining standard well you will be disappointed.....if you are going to have food as a fuel to keep you going....i think it's absolutely fine.....not the best i've ever had but by no means the worst.....this was my first trip to el gouna so i don't have any hotel experience to compare it to,but if someone offered me the same deal at the same hotel i would snatch their hand off......the whole place is great......any shortcomings in the hotel are more than made up for by the staff........if you go with an open mind and you are able to ignore the rudeness of the russians you will have a great time......anything else i can help with please just ask

wales
Level Contributor
555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just got back

HI

Beat me to it there Wid D: Well think that clears up the rooms saga!!

Thanks Treaclesoldman from me also.

S S W

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just got back

Thanks treaclesoldman

That all sounds fine. We are not into 5* flash or bling but just want clean and comfortable. Good value and service with a smile in pleasant surroundings area-wise is all that we ask. Salads and chicken are my favorites so no problems, there. Hubbo is a soup fiend and heads straight to the soup station wherever we go, however hot the weather. If you had any of the soups did you find them up to scratch?

Also how long is it to walk to the marina or did you use local transport?

I'm sure I will think of more to ask so tell me where to go if you get fed up!

I am very glad that you obviously had a good time

Wid

PS Re your user name - do you have a pet called Treacle? Just curious ... and nosey!

Edited: 26 October 2011, 17:02
Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just got back

oops, forgot ... just one more vital thing

The hotel has told me that all the bungalows have sunbeds on the terrace. Is that right, as someone on here reckoned that none of the hotels did except the Sheraton?

Wid

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just got back

hi wid,the marina is a tuk tuk ride,downtown is 5 mins walk,can't speak for all the bungalows but ours had 2 sunbeds and a rocking chair,where our bungalow was situated you lost the sun at around 11.00 am,although first thing (i was up at 06.00 everyday,lousy body clock)it was glorious lying on the sunbed in the early morning sun,tell mr wid the soups are fine,2 different soups everyday along with little freshly baked rolls.....heaven i love soup too....no i don't have a pet called treacle,treacle is my wifes nickname her name is tracey so i call her treacle.......she pretends to hate it....we do have a pet though.....a little mutt called tilly

Edited: 27 October 2011, 06:53
Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just got back

Cor, thanks treaclesoldman. Now he knows about the soups hubbo says that now we can go! It's good to know about the sunloungers too.

Regards to reacle ... and Jomo, my avator, sends his to Tiily.

Wid

Edited: 27 October 2011, 09:09
Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just got back

... or even Treacle!

Wid

Get answers to your questions about El Gouna