We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to El Gouna

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to El Gouna

Well after a few weeks of lurking here and reading all the excellent advice on here I have just booked a week in March!

We were looking for a small quiet hotel and we have picked Fanadir Hotel. Looking forward to going to El Gouna as you have all made it sound a great place. I didn't want to go to Sharm but wanted some sun and El Gouna ticks a few boxes.

So if there are any tips and advice for 1st timers please let me know.

North Wales
Level Contributor
244 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to El Gouna

A good choice. The Fanadir is quite a new hotel on the new marina. A lovely spot. A short stroll to the Abu tig marina.

Have a great time.

Marcus

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to El Gouna

Thanks Marcus. I'm sure we will have a great time. Just hope we get some good weather!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to El Gouna

Congratulations! We've stayed at the Fanadir and it's a lovely, small, boutique hotel in a quiet spot on the super yacht marina just a few minutes walk to the original Abu Tig marina, or a short bus trip to Downtown from the stop outside.

You will have good weather in March, but perhaps may need something warm over your shoulders in the evening. The sun rises early and sets early, so adjust your body clock accordingly. Early to rise to make the most of the warmth of the day, a siesta about five, and then out to dinner in the evening. There aren't many late nights to be had in El Gouna, it's quiet, so take your time, have a stroll - it's safe everywhere - and relax!

Remember to buy a weekly bus ticket on your arrival - about £2 per person for a week on any shuttle bus or boat. The open air shuttle boats don't come into the Marina yet, but have a stroll round the lagoon to the jetty outside the Sheraton Hotel and catch one there just for fun and the short 5/10 minute ride into Downtown. If it's running, the shuttle boat from Downtown to the Movenpick Hotel is a much longer ride, and the jetty is right outside the El Sayadin restaurant with fab views across the Red Sea from the open air veranda - great for lunch, a drink, or perhaps just an ice cream!

Have a look at the restaurant reviews here on TA - you've got lots of choice - better make a start! There's a tourist information office in Downtown who'll be happy to provide any info you need to plan your week if you want to avail yourself of any activities.

Oh, and be prepared to lose your heart to El Gouna - we all have! It's so nice to have at least one holiday a year you don't have to even think about, you just know you want to go back! Hope you have a great time and feel the same when you get home.

Cheers♥

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to El Gouna

Thank you Wirralite for the words of advice. Really looking forward to going. I have never been to Egypt before so it will be different experience for me.

I know what you mean about finding a place that draws you back time after time. But sometimes, like now its exciting to go somewhere new.

Think I will have a busy few evenings reading the reviews here about places to eat! There seems to be so much choice. Are all restaurants open to the general public or are some only for the attached hotel guests?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to El Gouna

Hi

You will notice there are 16 hotels in El Gouna, and of those only about 4 are wholly all inclusive. Therefore, lots of opportunity to stay B&B and enjoy all the wonderful restaurants. Plenty of villas and apartments to rent too - all well served by the dining options available in EG.

You can visit hotel restaurants if you wish and some are very good, but I think on the whole you'll find a wealth of individual restaurants around the marina or in Downtown to suit your taste. I've never counted, but I guess there must be about 50 to choose from - and very few duplicates either!

If you to go the El Gouna.com website, you'll find a copy of the quarterly resort guide you can either read on line or download. This lists every restaurant in El Gouna, and also features articles on various activities and amenities. It's likely the hotel will place one in your bedroom on arrival, or ask for it at reception - its full of information you may find useful on your first trip.

Cheers♥

Surrey
Destination Expert
for El Gouna
Level Contributor
975 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to El Gouna

Hi

I'm sure you will enjoy your first trip to Egypt if you are going to El Gouna, we always said we would never go to the same place twice until we found El Gouna and now I've actually lost count of how many times we've been :-)

Don't be put off by the journey from the airport to El Gouna, there's a lot of rubbish lying around where it's blown across the sand. You will definitely be pleasantly surprised when you arrive in El Gouna.

We've been in March before and it was a lovely temperature, though as Wirralite suggests you should take something for your shoulders for the evenings.

You will definitely be spoiled for choice for restaurants - they are all pretty good. And I suggest that you also take a trip downtown, don't just stick to the marina area. It's very different but there are some good, and generally a bit cheaper, restaurants down town. The Thai White Elephant is particularly good and very reasonably priced. My favourite restaurant, Upstairs, is downtown, but that is more of a fine dining experience and is a bit more expensive. I agree that it's best to have a look at all the reviews and make a few tentative decisions before you go.

Not long now! Enjoy :-)

Sue

Edited: 18 February 2013, 19:00
manchester
Level Contributor
224 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to El Gouna

We were hesitant going to Egypt first time - but luckily it was to El Gouna & in March it will be the 5th time for us. As the others have stated it is a lovely place & most return .Just get there relax & enjoy.

Mel

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to El Gouna

Thank you for all the lovely responses.

Sadly I had to cancel the holiday as we need extra leg room seats on the flight and there are none available! I am really gutted but we had no choice. OH is 6ft 5' and cannot fit in normal seats. I have tried other airlines and even flying from different airport but no luck. All I wanted was a week in the sun! I should have looked into it earlier.

I will get to El Gouna just not in the next few weeks :(

North Wales
Level Contributor
244 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to El Gouna

Hi,

6ft 5" !!.....I'm opposite 5ft 6" lol

Have you tried Thomson from East midlands Airport. We fly on the 16th April from there and the flights were reasonable. You can book the Fanadir Hotel with them direct. Not too bad a journey from Stockport to EM airport and a lovely little airport it is.

We travel from North Wales so its a distance to wherever. The flights were as cheap as Easy jet and they only fly to Hurghada for 3 months Feb, March and April from East Mids so we tend to use it each year at this time.

Its worth a try.... and April is a lovely month in El Gouna....no that's not just cos i'm there lol

All the best and good luck

Marcus

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time to El Gouna

Oh, I am sorry to hear that but, hopefully, it's just a delay.

Strangely enough, although we physically don't need them, we booked extra legroom seats for added comfort last April when we flew to Hurghada from Manchester and were amazed to find there were lots of empty seats on the plane and we really needn't have bothered. In fact, our seats were by the exit door and we were absolutely freezing the whole journey. There were no blankets to be had and, of course, we were too proud (stupid!) to move having paid extra!

You can't win 'em all. Keep trying though!

Cheers♥

Get answers to your questions about El Gouna
Recent Conversations