We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vill in eg

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Vill in eg

My husband & I are looking at booking a villa with James villas in eg for next jan/ February. We have never been before & are looking for an alternative winter hol at this time of year.

What is the weather like on a night time I.e. Cardigans & jumpers. Also what are the tuk tuk's like & generally eg itself.

We like quiet & relaxing during the day but nice restaurants & cocktail bars on an evening.

Would welcome any advice or villa/self catering experiences

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
581 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vill in eg

Have a good look around rental sites such as www.holidaylettings.co.uk and there are others - may get better prices. I would advise a heated pool at that time of year - not all villas have them - if they have a heated pool they normally say so. Also check internet is available as again not all villas have it.

January/February is the coolest time of the year so evenings are usually cool and yes jumper or cardi/long trousers will be needed but it all depends on the wind. The days are shorter but warm if sheltered enough for a nice tan. We go at Christmas/ New Year until mid January and always enjoy it - the weather will be far better than the UK and the sun will be shining.

Tuk tuk's are fun to get around in and cheap - but again in the evenings at that time of year will be chilly. Taxis are available as an alternative. Tuk tuk drivers have a bit of a reputation to drive a bit crazy - well in egypt most car drivers drive crazy as well.

As for El Gouna it is a laid back town - as you say quiet and relaxing (unless you hit a feast or festival when El Gouna is completely different - after New Year the next one is Easter) to chill and relax and spend lazy days by the pool or there is enough to do should you wish to keep you busy. Boat trips, golf, tennis, quad bikes, go cart track, kite surfing, cable water park for wake boarding, outdoor open air cinema (chilli in winter) to name a few things.

There are loads of restaurants to dine at covering all tastes and budgets - even if in a villa and you don't want to cook all the time. As for cocktail bars most bars serve cocktails - but there is not a specific cocktail bar. However being a Muslim country alcohol is not cheap especially known brands. However many places offer happy hours - 2 for 1 etc. would suggest bringing some duty free with you if you have a particular taste or a ore dinner tipple before you go out etc.

As for self catering its not a problem as most things are available in El Gouna - there are supermarkets, fruit and veg shops, a bakery, butchers, etc and also "gourmet egypt" delivers on Mondays and Fridays (internet ordering bit like tesco). Alcohol can be ordered and also delivered to your villa from Cheers or Drinkies.

Local brand beers are fine and wines OK but avoid imported wines and spirits as they are heavily taxed so very expensive. There is a winery in El Gouna that produces beer and wines and their version of "champagne" called "Le Baron" is very good at about £10 a bottle (from Cheers).

Don't change any money in the Uk - wait till you get here as the exchange rate is far better - currently around 12LE to the UK£1 - the best I have ever known it to be.

Hope this helps.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vill in eg

Hi Julie,

We have been to El Gouna several times and always stayed in a villa, booking with the owner directly via holiday lettings or home away. We buy breakfast items from the local supermarket, get alcohol delivered to the villa and eat out every night. It's much cheaper to book direct than via James Villas the only downside is that quite a number of Villas are for sale. The one we booked last year for this year was sold, we received our deposit back but had to find another villa, luckily we had 6 months notice. Not sure whether you get any better guarantees with James villas but it's a question I would ask whether booking direct or through an agent.

The information Majicou has given is excellent and comprehensive. If it's some R&R time that's needed, I would definitely head to El Gouna :-)

X

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
594 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vill in eg

Totally agree with both above - we are going back to EG in July for the 2nd time in a villa it's a totally chilled relaxed holiday. You don't even have to do breakfast if you can!t be bothered, the Captains Inn at the marina do an all you can eat breakfast for 35 LE which is round £3 at the current exchange rate, few other places do a good breakfast too but not as cheap. You can also order in for lunch from several places as well. The main benefit to us with the villa was the privacy, we didn't cook once, although that's not to say we couldn't have done so, as the villas are so well equipped. We,ve booked through Owners Direct this year but the other companies mentioned are also very good. Excellent choice of restaurants as well, I've already got my list of places that are must visits!

Edited: 02 June 2014, 20:09
4. Re: Vill in eg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about El Gouna
Recent Conversations