We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Movenpick - El Gouna

Reading, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Movenpick - El Gouna

Just about to book a holiday to the Movenpick.

Not sure whether it's worth booking the all inclusive deal?

The tour operator is asking in excess of £70 pp per day and it's some years since we have visited Egypt. Can anyone confirm if this is value for money?

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Movenpick - El Gouna

Sounds a lot to me. You will get a good breakfast there if you are BNB so it's 70 per person for lunch and dinner.

If there are two of you £140 would go along way to cover lunches, evening meals drinks and snacks. Plus you could eat in a combination of the hotels own restaurants on an a la carte basis and go to downtown for a change. Only way it might be worth it is if you drink a lot on holiday, but even then I am dubious to the value being offered at £70 a day.

Edited: 05 July 2014, 11:46
Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
600 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Movenpick - El Gouna

Have a look at the restaurants in El Gouna (click on the tab at the top on this page) and you'll get an idea of how much choice you have when it comes to dining in El Gouna. Personally I would go B&B and dine out, if you make the most of the breakfast you might even skip lunch. Price-wise you are looking at around 28LE for a beer and average main meal from 60LE upwards, (Puddleducks have a menu on their facebook page which will give you a good idea) If you have a fridge in the room you could also buy in drinks from Cheers.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Movenpick - El Gouna

Like the other posters, I would so encourage you to have the best of both worlds and stay at the Movenpick B&B only so that you are free to sample the wonderful variety of restaurants available in Downtown and Abu Tig Marina where you'll receive such a warm welcome.

My husband and I were in EG in May and although we like a drink - a glass of wine with a light lunch, a couple of Sakaras (beer) on the beach at the Sheraton Miramar during the course of the day, a bottle of wine with at least a two course meal each evening and sometimes a Brandy and a coffee to follow, there's no way on any day we were there we spent the equivalent of the £140 the Movenpick are quoting for AI. Plus, of course, it's so easy to get about in EG by shuttle bus, tuk tuk, taxi or shuttle boat, and you have the opportunity to revisit your favourites restaurants to try another dish that may have caught your eye first time around!

There are lots of holiday destinations where AI is a must because of location or expense. So nice to have another option in EG - especially when the exchange rate is so good for tourists - without breaking the bank!

Hope that helps. Sure you'll have a great holiday in EG wherever you stay!

Cheers ♥️

Reading, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Movenpick - El Gouna

Thank you so much for all the advice - it's going to be b&b!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Movenpick - El Gouna

I don't think you'll regret it. We've stayed at the Movenpick on a previous visit, and it has a great beach front with lots of sunbeds, a choice of three lovely pools, and a jetty for a leisurely shuttle boat trip to Downtown during the day (check the times on the schedule). Would definitely recommend a seafood lunch at El Sayadin there too which has fantastic views over the Red Sea from it's covered open air verandah.

However, the main buffet is rather large and 'busy' rather than relaxing - fine for breakfast and with heaps of choice, but you'll have a much more intimate and personal experience at one of the lovely restaurants in El Gouna in the evening.

It's also quite a nice walk from the Movenpick to Downtown if it's not too hot - well lit pavements and entirely safe and hassle free.

Cheers ♥️

Surrey
Level Contributor
976 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Movenpick - El Gouna

I agree with all the other posts - definitely B&B, the breakfasts are great at the Movenpick, you probably won't need too much for lunch. And there are far too many lovely restaurants in El Gouna, both downtown and in Abu Tig Marina. It would be a shame to miss out on them.

It's so easy to get around El Gouna too, walking distance to downtown from the Movenpick and a short tok tok or taxi ride to the marina. There's also a bus which is very cheap - you can get a weekly ticket for next to nothing!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Movenpick - El Gouna

I also agree with the other peoples comments. We always went half board with the tour operators until we went to the Movenpick. We followed everyone's advice and went B&B after looking at the copious amounts of brilliant eateries in El Gouna. Why be stuck in a hotel with okay food when you can go where you want and at what time, and if it does not reach expectations you don't return.

I am not including the Movenpick in this comment as our experience of the breakfasts there was brilliant, I am referring to the many other hotels in different countries we have visited in the past.

We are now converts and will only go B & B in the future

8. Re: Movenpick - El Gouna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:15