We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap flights from Germany...?

california
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Topic
Cheap flights from Germany...?

Hi y'all!

I'll looking to travel to Hurghada (yah!) in May/early June...and it's never too early to start exploring those flight options.

Anyway...the prices from the West Coast that directly land in Hurghada are kinda expensive.

So...like most people...I figured that I could look for alternatives...which confirm that flying into Cairo would be cheaper (of course...then I could book that local EgyptAir flight...or maybe even take that GoBus...even if it would take considerably longer).

Plugging in some alternatives...I found some really inexpensive flights to Frankfurt.

This city...and Germany (in general)...usually provides enough alternatives and is certainly close to make this a tantalizing option.

However...Turkish Airlines and Pegasus...both fly through Istanbul.

With the current political situation (drawing exasperated deep breath...raising eyebrows...looking sheepish) I'd hate to be hassled in immigration...or worse...refused entry.

Americans are...well...you know...

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks guys!

23 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
7,375 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap flights from Germany...?

If your Hotel & Transfer prices are good then fly direct. Less chance of losing your Luggage.

Other than that just one stop is far better than more stops for many reasons.

If taking two flights in and two flights out then one change at Frankfurt is really no different to Istanbul or Cairo.

Enjoy

Anthony

Edited: 17 December 2017, 15:44
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
660 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap flights from Germany...?

Personally I would avoid Frankfurt - for me it was a nightmare airport to find your way round - almost any other German airport would not be a problem (Dusseldorf, Munich etc)

california
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap flights from Germany...?

Thanks Anthony!

Point well taken...

Since it's still early enough...I'm definitely not pressured into making a "quick purchase".

History being a "relatively strong" indicator, the prices I'm finding are consistent with what they'll be 3-4 months from now.

They might drop a little...but if I can find that "incredible deal"...why not?

Anyway...something potentially worth mentioning.

The flight from San Francisco (where I'll be starting) has a direct flight to Frankfurt.

So...theoretically...if there just happens (hint...hint) to be a short two hour gap between flights...

What...you want everything?

Ha! Ha!

I'm still hoping there'll be that "sweet spot" between "incredible deal" and "nearly just being able to walk onto that next flight".

However...I'd definitely prefer to arrive in Hurghada...as opposed to Cairo.

california
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap flights from Germany...?

Thanks Stonyb0!

O.k.

I'll still continue to peruse the search options.

When I plugged in Frankfurt...well...the price was ridiculously cheap!

Especially with late spring/summer season...the "incredibility of the deal" wasn't lost on me.

Hmmm...

O.k....still looking.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
5,188 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap flights from Germany...?

And avoid Pegasus like the plague. They are cheap for a reason plus if you like stupid o clock flight times then go for it.

For me was a very long tiring day just to save some money.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap flights from Germany...?

I know German Wings flies from Düsseldorf to Egypt. We also have been flying with Air Berlin.

I think they sell also ticket only (we had booked a package with ETI)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap flights from Germany...?

Check out Skyscanner to monitor prices.

www.skyscanner.net

california
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap flights from Germany...?

Thanks guys!

Really appreciate the advice!

Since it's still really "early" in the game, I'll continue to peruse those search engines...and maybe...just maybe there'll be that "deal of the century".

Several years ago, I meticulously followed the SFO-CAI flights.

Every day...the prices never budged...always staying within that $850.00-920.00 price range.

Then...one early Sunday morning...I decided to do my daily "flight price tracker".

Lo and behold...one airline had this flight for $339.00 (roundtrip)!

What!!??

Thinking...there's gotta be something wrong...I cleared my browser...and did it again.

Sure enough...this time...every competing airline...had that exact same price.

Well...you guessed what I did...

Later...several hours later..."just for kicks and giggles"...I did another search.

And...yep...all the airlines...I mean...all the airlines...moved right back up into that $850.00-920.00 "sweet spot" (for them...anyway) simultaneously.

There's no collusion between our air carriers...right?

Halifax
Level Contributor
229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap flights from Germany...?

Should be called skyscammer clint more money plus double flight time another bit of great advice you excel

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap flights from Germany...?

@#9- 🤔

Reply to: Cheap flights from Germany...?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted