We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hurghada

Scotland
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
hurghada

this would be our first visit to egypt, and have been recommended that hurghada is the nicer place. My husband and i enjoy going for walks but i have heard reports that you are constantly harrassed also their is a higher chance of having an upset stomach in egypt than anywhere else, we have been to Thailand and Borneo so we are aware of the rules to prevent this. Can anyone who has been to Hurghada give me their honest opinion of the place. I was really looking forward to visiting Hurghada but have now been slightly put off by some of the reports. The two hotels i was considering were Hurghada Marriott Red Sea Resort and Intercontinental Hotel

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hurghada

The Marriott is very nice, but also have a look at steigenberger al dau beach hotel. :-)

UK
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hurghada

The harassment seemed worse when we went in May/June, possibly due to the lack of tourists.

romford
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hurghada

Personally, I prefer Makadi Bay (20 minutes from Hurghada) as I thought Hurghada to be a bit of a building site (IMO) with the hotels being more upmarket in Makadi Bay.

Regards,

Pat

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hurghada

Sunrise garden beach hotel is lovely we stayed there last year and are going back this year too, you can walk about quite freely in hurghada with not alot of trouble from the locals, just say No ! and keep walking

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hurghada

“honest opinion” ..not sure you’ll like it……….I’ve been to Hurghada twice, 10 years ago and a month ago………The resorts/hotels we stayed at where very nice at reasonable price (the only reason we holiday in Hurghada)but, these resorts could be anywhere in the world in their own manicured grounds………10 years ago we ventured out to visit the town for about 4 hours-that was enough!……a month ago we lasted 3 hours!………I can quite honestly say the town of Hurghada is ugliest, dirtiest, non descript place I have ever visited……sorry.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hurghada

Go to El Gouna 30 km north of Hurghada. http://www.elgouna.com/

I just got back from Madinat Coraya in the Coraya Bay near Marsa Alam airport, this is a cluster of 5 hotels from the same chain, just perfect. jaz.travel/destinations/…

London
Level Contributor
414 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hurghada

Agree you'll be far better off in El Gouna if you don't want any hassle as the shopkeepers are not allowed to do this. Also excellent for walking and very safe. Fabulous marina for people watching also. Most people who we've recommended El Gouna to are now regular visitors, which must say something.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hurghada

By saying no to market traders you have started negotiations, The market trader wants to turn your no into a yes.

It really is best just to walk passed if you have no intention of buying.

UK
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hurghada

As above, best thing to do if you have no intention of buying is to ignore COMPLETELY.

St. Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hurghada

If you are not used to dirty, dusty, chaotic, etc. I would suggest El Gouna. I have lived in Egypt 4 years, in 3 different places...6th of October,Porto Sokhna in Ain Sokna and now El gouna...

I am used to the chaos in Cairo and elsewhere, and to me, Hurghada is a little Cairo. Like the other reviewers said, if you want peace and calm, come to el gouna, but keep in mind it isn't the real Egypt. But I think you will have an enjoyable time.