We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble in Egypt

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trouble in Egypt

We've booked to go to Hurghada in July and have never been before I know its a while away but were a bit concerned about the recent problems and the possilble ongoing trouble and are thinking of changing to go somewhere eles. Thomas Cook have said its ok to travel and we shouldnt worry but where unsure.

Any advice?

Notts
Level Contributor
637 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble in Egypt

hi sharon you will be fine , please dont cancel your holiday, the problems are a long way away from hurghada, we were there last march when all the big problems were going on , it never came near to any of the tourist places, and you will be perfectly safe, we are off there again in 4 weeks and cant wait,

happy holidays

regards sandie

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble in Egypt

We were in Hurghada in Jan/Feb 2011 at the height of the revolution. We had not idea anything was going on - apart from what we saw in BBCWorld.

We are going to Sharm in March and back to Hurghada in June. I take the view that if the situation were to deteriorate dramatically, the tour operators would be forced to change our destination. As long as the Foreign Office does not advise against travel to a country, I would not hesitate to go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trouble in Egypt

Your biggest problem going in July I think, will be how HOT it is going to be, LoL !

So I hope you are prepared for that !

Stop worrying and relax and go and enjoy your holiday :-)

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trouble in Egypt

I was also in Egypt at the height of the Revolution and in Hurghada and Safaga there very few problems apart from the lack of tourists, the problems that are situated in the cities of Cairo and Alex will not cause you any problems indeed many people continue to visit Cairo for the pyramids and the Cairo museum and there are very little problems you will have an excellent time although as already stated it will be very hot by then all the best and have a great holiday

Paddy

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trouble in Egypt

Just a footnote compared with last Jan/Feb the situation in Hurghada is far more stable indeed I was in Hurghada and in Luxor during this problematic time and there were very few problems apart from the lack of guest, I was however concerned to see just how the press were reporting certain situations and indeed there was much reporting that was done that was not entirely accurate, as for the situation getting worse this is doubtful, the situation in both Cairo and Alex remains fluid but this is a situation that has been going on for sometime now and compared with last years riots the situation is far far better all the best and Happy Holidays

Paddy

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,011 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trouble in Egypt

You are a long way from any of the events, probably as far away as you could get - as kv says it will be hot, don't forget the high factor sun cream!

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
893 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trouble in Egypt

Thanks Paddy for your updates which are most reassuring. We are going to the PLR for Christmas this year- our first trip to Egypt & are really looking forward to it( the hotel sounds wonderful ). Cheers, tel

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trouble in Egypt

No problems as fas as things are going in Egypt at the moment there should not be any problems all the best

Paddy

leeds yorks
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trouble in Egypt

we where in hurgada jan when the problems started, we where fine although there was some demonstrations in hurgada itself.my husband is now in luxor dec 12, there has been a few demonstrations in the town but no problems realy for tourist we have been 5 times this year,and are regulare guests to egypt.

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trouble in Egypt

Egypt apart from a handful demonstrations is fine I have in the left panel put in the top questions the latest information from the foreign office this gives you the up to date information and currently there no restrictions in the region with exception of the Sinai where some restrictions are in place in the north of the region and close to the Israel border

All the best

Paddy