We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using smartphone in egypt

Which Hurghada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hereford
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
using smartphone in egypt

I want to take my mobile (o2 monthly contract) in Hurghada mainly to use as a point of contact when my pre-booked tour company contacts me but also if my husband and i need to contact each other ( ie if i go shopping and he goes somewhere else!!), also use as camera etc.

I am worried about huge bills.

do i have to do anything to activate my account abroad? I only want to use phone facility and don't plan to phone home, nor will i use the internet.

any mobile advise would be appreciated,

thanks, Dee

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: using smartphone in egypt

It's worth giving O2 a call to make sure your international call roaming is turned on but apart from that, all you need to do is make sure you have data roaming switched off.

If you have data roaming on, you will be hooking up to the internet without knowing it and probably running up massive costs. If it is off then you can safely use your camera etc without having to worry!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: using smartphone in egypt

I can tell you how to turn it off on a Sony Xperia but have no knowledge of others, sorry!

Newbury
Level Contributor
187 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: using smartphone in egypt

If I were you I would not use your contract sim card while in egypt! I am with Orange and if I use my iphone to make a call while out there I will be charged £1.75 per minute! I will be charged 50p per text message. Even if you are calling your husband and he is in egypt with you you will still be charged as if calling the UK. It would be cheaper to text or cheaper still to arrange a meet up time with him.

Call O2 and ask for up to date charges while in Egypt.

My advise would be to turn off roaming and just use your phone for music and camera. That is what I plan to do

I hope this helps.

Have a good holiday.

Linda

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: using smartphone in egypt

just put a pay as you go sim in it saves you a fortune

hereford
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: using smartphone in egypt

can i put any pay as you go sim in my smartphone ( sorry if i'm being dense!)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: using smartphone in egypt

if it is unlocked yes you can ive just got a free vodafone card it gives you extra international mins the more you top up the more exta mins you get i am on orange and my husband o2 we will both use these sims

Kings Lynn
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: using smartphone in egypt

Hi, can I ask where you got Vodafone sim on pay&go? Going sept/oct and I have the same worries !

Ta

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: using smartphone in egypt

Got to be honest with you avoid using a contract from the UK in Egypt it will work out very expensive for you all the best

Paddy

hereford
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: using smartphone in egypt

many thanks, i don't think i will use my phone apart from having it so the tour company can contact me!!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: using smartphone in egypt

It was an ad on the yahoo home page you just fill in your name and address they sent me two