We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancelling Hurghada :(

Which Hurghada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
cancelling Hurghada :(

my hubby is slightly worried at travelling to Hughada for my birthday in December and we already have booked the flights.. really disappointed. :(

Notts
Level Contributor
637 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancelling Hurghada :(

what has changed your mind ???

regards sandie

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cancelling Hurghada :(

I am sorry to hear that although there have been problems in the Sinai there are no problems here and I am very sorry that you will be not visiting maybe you will come sometime all the best and sorry for you

Paddy

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancelling Hurghada :(

my other half thinks it's dangerous, because of the people that were arrested for plotting against brits and americans there :( gutted.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cancelling Hurghada :(

If someone is worried enough to cancel then chances are they would worry throughout the whole trip and simply not enjoy it. Sad to hear it though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancelling Hurghada :(

sadly Egypt is off my hols list for this winter too, great shame...

just heard from one poster who has just cancelled his hurghada trip for Xmas that his insurance is paying out as the FCO says that as some of the country has a complete no-travel advisory then he is covered... that's good news for him,

i do not know the insurer's but its worth checking yours if they agree.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cancelling Hurghada :(

I am sure nothing has been mentioned anywhere about Hurghada being a no go destination. All the travel warnings are regarding the Sinai area EXCLUDING Sharm... Exercising caution throughout Egypt has never changed...

We will be in Hurghada again next week Paddy... we may be the only ones there :P

WALES, UK
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cancelling Hurghada :(

If I was going to hurghada again this Christmas ( been the last 2) I wouldn't be worried at all. The fco advice is for Sinai only and your hundreds of miles away. I'm off to sharm this year instead and was concerned when I first heard about it but we're still going just have to a bit more vigilant. Don't let it spoil your holiday go and have a wonderful time.

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cancelling Hurghada :(

Please Read The only part of Egypt that has a no travel restriction is the Northern Sinai this has been done close to the Rafar Boarder as this part of the country is not visited by tourists as it is close to the boarder with Palestine, there are some travel restrictions in place between Sharm and Taba but this has been in place since Hosny Murbarak was deposed, as for Hurghada El Gouna and Safaga including Makadi Bay and Soma Bay there are no restrictions in place nor have there been, there are road restrictions south of Luxor and night travel is not advised but this is not for terrorist activities but simply for road conditions as with the past 15 years travel west of Aswan and South of Marsa Alam remains restricted as does travel close to the Libyan boarder travel between Hurghada and Cairo remains restricted on overnight travel again for road conditions travel to Suez and Northeast Egypt remains restricted as it has for the past 35 years and the only change is the restrictions in place in the Sinai for Sharm and Resorts to Taba and the Israel border also travel between Sharm and Northern Sinai is not restricted the level of terrorism was increased because of activity in both Palestine and in Libya it was thought that this would be advisable the plotters who were plotting against the Americans were arrested and it is thought that they got the whole group 6 years ago a bomb went of in Cairo this was targeted at French and was again as with this situation an isolated attack the security services in Egypt are far more vigilant than those in many countries I come from Northern Ireland where the level for terrorism remains high and attack remain imminent but that does not stop me visiting nor going out to Belfast or Derry as with any country in the middle east and that includes Turkey that has a boarder with Syria you need to be vigilant and streetwise actually you need to be vigilant in any city in the World these days terrorists are more likely to target tourists in any city not just Egypt there was more concern in Egypt during the uprising that I was here for than now that is when all travel was barred and members from some EU Countries were called home such as Germany France and Italy as with any FCO advice read the advice and understand what you are being told on the map there is a clear map showing the areas where they have concern and Hurghada is not within in that area as is not Luxor and Aswan

Thank You for reading

Paddy

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cancelling Hurghada :(

thankyou for your above posts, i will review again in some days time. to see whether i can get other half to change his mind if not then no hughada for me. i usually go to sharm, as i have friends there. but thought we would try somewhere different.- x

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cancelling Hurghada :(

Beezley, you will not be alone in Hurghada next week. We fly out to the Palm Royale Soma Bay on Tuesday. I am not particularly alarmed by the current situation. We in in Egypt during the Arab Spring uprising and knew nothing at all about it except what we saw on BBC World.

I must admit this holiday is just about R&R so we have no intention of being out and about. We have had a tough few months and are looking forward to some sunshine and hopefully nice food and drink.

Get answers to your questions about Hurghada