We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What currency should I take with me to Hurghada?

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
What currency should I take with me to Hurghada?

Hello all

I'm from the UK and my partner and I will be traveling to Hurghada in August this year (Staying at Iberotel Aquamarine).

We will need to take currency to pay for the two trips that we intend to take and for tipping the staff. That's about the only thing we will take money for.

BUT... What currency should we take?

Very confused any help would be appreciated

Thank you

London, England...
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What currency should I take with me to Hurghada?

Hi

It is always best to tip the staff on Egyptian otherwise they will ask other guests to change coins for them which is not ideal for them or the other guests!

The Aquamarine does have a cash machine in reception area and you can change money and get smaller notes if you get your visas at the Bank kiosks on arrival. You generally get a better rate there than you do here.obviously your own bank may charge for using your card overseas.

Hope that helps!

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What currency should I take with me to Hurghada?

Thank you Donna

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What currency should I take with me to Hurghada?

Take sterling in clean, undamaged notes and change as required, in Egypt, for L.E. Ask for small notes for tipping.

No need to feel confused - you had the right idea even before posting!

Enjoy your first trip to Egypt!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What currency should I take with me to Hurghada?

If you want duty free out there you will need euros and US dollars, but get them at your hotel's machine, or over here, otherwise the other posts are quite right.

romford
Level Contributor
4,463 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What currency should I take with me to Hurghada?

As said above, if you intend buying Duty Free at the airport, I would recommend paying in $ as everything is priced in $. Should you pay in any other currency they will exchange to their advantage.

6. Re: What currency should I take with me to Hurghada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 06:19