We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

Midlands
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

Hi, I'm thinking of booking a holiday to Hurghada in Oct 2014....Is it safe with the unrest at present, or should I postpone travelling to Hurghada till next year?

UK
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

Not this again.......

No less safer now than it's ever been.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

Its the Op first post he has not been to this forum before and wants answering a viable question in his eyes. according to the FO it is safe, I have been the last few years during the trouble and have never felt unsafe. in fact you would not think anything was wrong

Edited: 10 March 2014, 15:52
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

Nobody can tell you it is safe, only you can make that decision based on the FCO advice amongst other things. Here's the link.

https:/…egypt

To be fair, the recent issue was in the Sinai and this area of the Red Sea remains peaceful.

To be honest, the situation will probably be no different next year.

Notts
Level Contributor
637 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

like gregmuzz, i have been the last 6 years and except some of the hotels were half empty you would never think there was anything wrong. we have been out with our egyptian friends, to the new marina, and el gouna, and several eating places and had no trouble at all, always felt safe.

regards sandie

Edited: 10 March 2014, 17:07
Dorset
Level Contributor
468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

As sandie has said, we have been the last 7 years and would not know there was ever a problem, even last September we was there, fine. We too have been out with our Egyptian friends and on our own, was a little quiet but that's it. Book and go!!

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

We were there last week (12th time in 5 years) there has been an increase in police profile, airport, hotels, senzo mall etc have increased security (never a bad thing) we have NEVER seen or heard of any problems in or around Hurghada.

Midlands
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

Thank you all for your replies. As gregmuzz said, this is my first post and what I thought was a sensible question having never been to Egypt before. Your replies have given me some assurance that it is a relevantly safe area, although I will probably resist the temptation to fly to Luxor or Cairo to explore the treasures of Egypt.

Many thanks,

Rick

Kent, United Kingdom
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

Rick, thank you for asking the question , it's valid I was about to ask the same. I fly out in Friday with my Family and put there safety first. I have read the replies which have reasurded me and my family so thankyou for taking the time to write. The situation is ever evolving and what is good one week may not be the next, I will be back on the 16th and will happily answer any questions!

Leeds
Level Contributor
380 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

I wouldn't be put off going to Luxor....we were there last week and no bother at all but Cairo is probably a bit iffy and I wouldn't personally risk it.

wales. uk
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurghada!! Troubles in Egypt 2014

I am so glad u asked that question, I am traveling in June and have been a bit nervous to be honest. Does anyone know if first choice are still doing trips to valley of the kings? X