We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

First time to Hurghada and Egypt staying at the Siva Grand hotel. I usually take a mix of local currency, sterling and travellers cheque, what would you advise me to take and are there cash machines near the hotel. Thank you.

Exhall, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Take sterling and change some at the airport for the 1st couple of days, then change to Egyptian as and when needed. TBH I would be VERY surprised if there wasn't a cash machine (for changing money), or money exchange facility in the hotel.

Enjoy your holiday, off to the airport in a few hours myself, back to Hurghada 4 nights, then Luxor 16 nights (its been a long winter lol).

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Yes, got to agree with the above.

Don't change your Sterling before you arrive. Even at the airport bank kiosks, which you should visit to obtain your visa on arrival (US$15, but you can pay £10 Sterling & will get change in Egyptian Pounds (LE)), you'll get a much better rate than in the UK.

Banks in Egypt offer, pretty much the inter-bank rate for changing foreign currency into LE and are open much later in the evening than you'd find over here; in hotel branches can be open 24 hours a day, and it's an extremely easy process to change your currency into LE.

Travellers cheques are a different matter, in that, officially, you have to produce both your passport and the original receipt for their purchase, when you go to change them (this is due to forged travellers cheques having, apparently, started to appear on the market within the last 6 - 7 years) . However, this wasn't applied at the banks, in Luxor, last time I was there, but was strictly enforced in Cairo. Additionally, there is a set fee for changing travellers cheques, even at the banks, which I seem to recall was something like LE15 per transaction.

One further point to bear in mind is that bureau de change will not give you the same rate of exchange as the banks so, if you find yourself having to use bureau de change, it's best to shop around for the best rates.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

You won't have a problem finding an ATM in this area; there are at least 2 within a 10 minute walk in the direction of the RAM store and there may be one (we have not used) in the parade of shops close by the hotel entrance.

4. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 06:15