We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foreign exchange rates?

Which Hurghada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Foreign exchange rates?

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to change my pounds in England or wait until I am in Egypt in August?

Alsosshould I take any American dollars as I have heard they come in handy over there for tips and such?

Hurghada, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
941 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foreign exchange rates?

You always get a better exchange rate for your English pounds over here in Egypt.

Personally I think you only need dollars for your entrance Visa $25 each.

They do price in some shops in Dollars, but this is because apart from Egyptian Pound, Sterling and Euro, they do not accept many other currencies. Just ask them to give you the price in your preferred currency.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Foreign exchange rates?

Regarding tips....always tip in local currency.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foreign exchange rates?

You don't even need US Dollars for the entry visa. Sterling, i.e. Bank of England, notes are perfectly acceptable; they must be clean & undamaged for any exchange transaction in Egypt,

Although, at today's GBP : USD exchange rate of a fraction over £1 = $1.70, the cost of your visa should be covered by a payment of £15, I'd allow for £20 per head & use the change you'll get, in Egyptian Pounds (LE) for your immediate tipping & purchasing needs, before you can get to the bank again.

4. Re: Foreign exchange rates?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 06:16