We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

Which Hurghada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

Hi all been looking at this hotel 2 adults + 2 Children. On Thomas cook web site the price is £2000 for AI on the sunrise web site the price is £850 both for 11 nights. As you can see there is a massive price difference. Thomas Cook clearly state whats included and at what times however the hotels web site does not give any info or the information is ambiguous.

Any comments on this I would greatly appreciate.

We have never been to Egypt before and I am quite concerned about health risks etc please recommend a good hotel thats fun and safe

thanks for reading

Coley

LIVERPOOL
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay, Hurghada
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

Hi coley650 you have picked an excellent hotel in Crystal bay, I have assumed a couple of things before answering your question, firstly both of your children are 13 years old or under and secondly the price you have from Thomas cook is accommodation (all inclusive) only. If both of my assumptions are correct, Then yes book with Sunrise resorts website and everything will be the same apart from no Thomas cook rep, the only other thing that may not be included and therefore extra cost is if you were going over the Christmas period, the gala dinners on Christmas eve and new years eve are normally included with TC but are normally extra if you book direct or with a third party broker.

Hope this helps.

John

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

Thanks for posting John yes you are correct I have twin boys aged 9. I have found the flights but I have not booked yet. I might add that my concerns are I found this hotel on a couple of web sites which have the full description of whats included which have exactly the same wording they all cost £2000. The ones with the minimal descriptions are around £850-£950 including the hotels own web site. Also I just been looking and travel republic and Expedia wont let us choose a deluxe room only a junior suite at £1,250. which again on the Thomas cook and other sites they want way more. This is so hard work :)

Thanks Guy

LIVERPOOL
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay, Hurghada
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

Hi Guy all booking agents have there own descriptions sometimes used for different rooms, the correct room descriptions will be on the sunrise group website, have you read right through the hotel description they do list just about everything on www.sunrisehotels-egypt.com , my favored room type is a Jacuzzi Suite even better than the private pool rooms in my opinion, but all rooms in this hotel are modern and spacious, If you have concerns about booking direct I can give you the direct email address to the groups E-business manager, If you need this just send me a PM

John

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

My assumption based on the disparity of the prices is that Thomas Cook's price includes the flights! The hotel's own website will be for accommodation only.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

Sorry I have not posted back sooner and thanks for the replies I sent the hotel a emails regarding my questions and they have never bothered to get back to me. I found a post that Thomas cook have a different ai so that looks like why there is such a big price difference. I have noticed this a lot in Egypt shady ai were the place have numerous bars restaurants etc but you can only use one and feel alienated to others. Any how if Sunrise can not be bothered to respond to my emails so I think I will give this place a miss. Moving forward my wife is really put off with Egypt now because of the following:

Dodgey hotels (as above)

Food and being ill ( we have twin boys and I would hate them to be seriously ill)

Russians being rude (thats not my opinion but the general posts on the forum)

Rude and nasty hotel staff seems to be the norm for Egypt

Sell Sell Sell aggressive shopkeeepers

Airport nightmare with visas

not being able to use taxis etc

All the above is from this very forum.

We returned from Mexico in april and it was our first ai holiday now there was quite a few bad reviews on the hotel. But not to extent of the hotels in Egypt. The hotel in mexico turned out to be paradise and the bad reviews were just on little issues.

I realize that these reviews our subjective however there seems to be a lot of the same thing.

Thanks for reading

Guy

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

I think the points you highlight could be true of many places all around the world. I can only say that the negative aspects have not been my experience in Egypt. I went for the first time in January 2011 and I have returned eight times since then! I can honestly say that neither I nor my travelling companions have ever been ill, met any rude Russians or been treated with anything but respect by hotel staff.

Yes, shopkeepers can be very pushy but we tend to stay within the hotel complex. We have visited El Gouna a couple of times and you can walk around freely there as traders are not permitted to hassle you. You can also use the tuk tuks or taxis as the prices are all fixed.

Yes, the airport can be a bit intimidating but surely that is the case in many countries if you have done any travelling at all!

I do my research very carefully before booking a hotel and then take great care over hygiene and over indulgence in both sun and alcohol.

You make your own decisions as to the best holiday for you and your family. You clearly ignored bad reviews when you went to Mexico and thought it was great. Go figure!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

I second Mrs Kris above.

To call a hotel dodgy because they haven't replied to your email is not fair Guy. I've stayed at the Crystal Bay and it is far from dodgy! Did you get the right email?

I've been ill once in many visits and that was in Sharm not Hurghada.

Rude staff i have not come across either. if you are nice to them then they are nice to you.

There are going to be some poor hotels with bad reviews but you just avoid these.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

@ Mrs Kris thanks for the reply I agree with everything you have said you have experienced Egypt and I have not I am only baseing my comments on the overwhelming posts that others have written. Yes there where bad reviews regarding Mexico and we had concerns before we went but not on the scale of Egypt. However I am still very interested in going and finding out for myself.

@lesly It does sound dodgy when something is over a £1000 cheaper with no description. I like to know what I am paying for before I get there. Yes the email went straight of there web site and from my client no reply.

Again thanks for all your replies if you could recommend me some places at reasonable prices it does not have to be five star just clean and average food. We are not big eaters or drinkers We just need a nice place to be.

Guy

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

Guy, have a look at my reviews of the Palm Royale Soma Bay. I have been four times and love it. It is an isolated choice so not great if you want to get out and about. If you stay in resort, you will not encounter pushy traders at any rate:)

There are plenty of Eastern Europeans but we found all the guests to be polite if somewhat insular. Brits were in the minority but that means we all got to talk go one another.

I don't know how old your twins are but on our last trip in June, there were lots of very young families but not British. They did a kiddy disco in the early evening but I don't think the language barrier seemed to stop kids having fun.

PM me if you want more info.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunrise Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

Steigenberger Aqua Magic is nice and i thought the food was very good. Excellent pirate ship with water for the kids and some slides.

Get answers to your questions about Hurghada