We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

Heswall, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

We love snorkelling but only in calm waters. We are thinking of going to Egypt in October or November. How is the snorkelling then? Would Hurghada or Sharm be better for us? Are there are any particular hotels or beaches that you can recommend for snorkelling? Any advice would be much appreciated..

Blue Paradise Diving Center
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
New Son Bijou Diving Center
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins, Other Outdoor Activities
Voodoo Divers
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling
Falcon Adventure - Hurghada
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Safaris, Other Outdoor Activities
chester
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

Hiya

The best snorkeling Ive experienced was at the Iberotel Lamaya in Marsa Alam, that was during october. we did that hotel a few times and will return probably next year

Kevin

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,848 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

Hurghada itself has little in the way of reef and the beaches largely man made with desert sand that silts up in the water when people get in. There are boat day trips to the Gifton Isles, usually a little different each time during a week. That is excellent. A bit more freedom and fewer people than SS.

Makadi Bay is further south and does have some decent coral.

It gets better I understand as you go south to Marsa Alam. I'm still working my way down there on trips but have seen film of it.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

Have a look at the Fort Arabesque in Makadi Bay. The snorkelling is great from the hotel beach. You could also stay next door at the Sunrise Royal Makadi and just go to the Forts beach to snorkel. Sahl hasheesh has some good snorkelling too. Tropitel sahl hasheesh has a jetty out to deep water. I would prob go in Oct though as it can be windy in Hurghada and the more into winter you go can make it feel a bit cold in the water after a while.

In Sharm, have a look at the sentido Reef Oasis Senses for a hotel with amazing snorkelling.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 21:34
Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

There is an excellent coral reef in front of Makadi Spa & Makadi Palace. Loved it:-)

uk
Level Contributor
465 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

Excellent snorkelling at Mercure Hotel. We have just returned.

We found the sea in Sharm calmer than the sea in Hurghada. It was quite choppy at times and bounced you around lol There was almost a constant wind when we were there for 2 weeks but oh it was very welcomed! :)

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

Experienced both, but now live in Hurghada.

We do have a windy season, but lasted longer this year, as the weather on the whole has been a bit strange since winter.

It depends which boat you go with. If you go with the hotel dive boats, they take you to the same places.

My advice to you, is go to one of the many dive centres directly, it will be probably half the price, and they know exactly where to take you depending on the time of year. They will also moor the boat on the calm side of the reef, protecting you from any prevailing winds.

Most people that have tried Sharm first, then Hurghada, prefer the latter. More laid back and many districts to visit, when not out on boat trips.

I'm sure whichever you choose, you will have a fantastic time.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

lesley150 wrote "You could also stay next door at the Sunrise Royal Makadi and just go to the Forts beach to snorkel."

We stayed at the Fort last year primarily because of it's snorkeling reviews and it was amazing (it was better than our previous 2 holidays to the Maldives!). We used to see loads of people coming from other hotels to use the Fort beach as they soon realise that their reef isn't that good.

Luckily the Fort beach staff were on top form running into the water shifting people on if they didn't have the Fort AI wrist band on. Why pay all that money to stay at the Fort if the beach & reef is going to be used by anybody who feels like it?

Sorry, but If you want an amazing snorkeling experience, pay for it. If you do go from another another hotel to use the Forts beach and reef, be prepared to get moved on!

<Rant over!>

Scotland
Level Contributor
279 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

Seriously Geoff? You think you 'pay' to go into the sea at a particular hotel? The coral and beach for that matter is not the property of any hotel.

Next time you visit walk past your neighbours house remember to pay him for the view!

They'll hav a hard job getting me out the sea if I'm snorkelling there when I stay at SRMB!

Rant over

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

People don't use the beach it's just the sea and there is a nice stretch of it so enough room for everyone. :)

When we were at the Fort we found some of the guests on the beach were quite rude and territorial about 'their' beach. On our first day we sat down on some sunbeds before we got towels and faced some people calling out telling us to move as it was a 'private' beach. No apology from them though when my other half turned up with the towels so they could see we were actually staying there!

10. Re: Snorkelling in Hurghada v Sharm-E-S

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 05:15