We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa at hurghada airport

liverpool
Level Contributor
532 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Visa at hurghada airport

Bad on Thomas cook, they clearly tell u on the plane the visa is £13 or 18 dollars.

Once in the arrivals the bank is directly behind you , you will be shepherded into the travel agent queue, and pay the premium price

It's not clear when u arrive we only noticed the bank when we were paying, it's confusing because of the message on the plane and being met with people holding Thomas cook signs.

The bank charge £10 or 15 dollars.

england
Level Contributor
876 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa at hurghada airport

I know exactly what you mean, it is very misleading and all the men in thomas cook unifroms are just a trick to get you to pay extra its a shame that more people dont come on here and find out about this,when iam at the airport i try to tell as many people as i can about the bank well after I have got mine first lol.....

London
Level Contributor
210 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa at hurghada airport

So just to be clear, what is the correct way to go about this? I know what it is like when tour operators shephard you somewhere as if you have to go!

Just want to know as I am travelling next Tuesday.

Can I buy in English pounds at the bank?

Many thanks.

liverpool
Level Contributor
532 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa at hurghada airport

Not sure, as soon as u get off the bus at arrivals go through the doors and right behind u is the bank, ignore anyone holding up tour operator boards,t he bank as far as I know just deal with visa's but they are £3 cheaper and u can use £ / euro / dollars to pay.

Get your visa ignore the queue and go staight to passport control.

The duty free is also good on the way home, £9 for litre spirits and @ £15 for 200 cigs so again ignore TC reps who will try and get you to buy on the plane as they claim the duty free is poorly stocked at hurghada and they don't restock duty free on the plane, absolute rubbish there are at least 5 well stocked duty free shops at hurghada airport

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa at hurghada airport

Hi nick_paddock25,

If you go to the links at the top of this page on the right there is a link to 'Top Ten Questions'. There is a load of good info in their from the DE's including all about the visa.

However, just quickly, you can buy in £ but don't always get best rate. If you are taking US$ (as advised on forum) I would just get an extra $15 each for your visas.

Ali

LIVERPOOL
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay, Hurghada
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa at hurghada airport

This question has been answered time and time again on the Makadi bay and Hurghada forums and both have the topic as a top question,

Do not follow the heard, as soon as you enter the airport look to your left you will see a small row of bank desks go to any one of them and get your visa then go straight to the back of the arrivals hall to immigration control, At the bank desks the visa can be paid for in any currency I find it best to pay in US Dollars ($15 each) as this removes any confusion over exchange rates, also at the same bank desks you can change sterling into Egyption pounds if you need to.

Hope this helps.

John

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa at hurghada airport

I'm one of the many people who cannot understand the point of changing sterling to USD to pay for the visa. I have always paid sterling for my Egyptian visa and almost always got change back in LE from £10. At today's rate it is = £9.20 approx. Only once did it cost me a bit more than £10 but the exchange rate between $ - £ was not good at the time.

At todays rate you will pay more for your visa if change £ -> $. It may only be a matter of UK 25p approx though.

england
Level Contributor
876 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa at hurghada airport

I have always paid for our visas in dollars (dont ask me why!) but you are so right boringFS why change our own currency into dollars when they accept our currency I will deffo be paying in sterling this year...

LIVERPOOL
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay, Hurghada
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa at hurghada airport

Hi boringFS

I know you are the oracle when it comes to Luxor indeed I point anyone that needs info on Luxor in your direction but I don't know how many times you have been in and out of Hurghada Airport, You will find there the bank desks are very slow to offer any change if paying in sterling for example, I have also known people to be charged £11 even at the bank desk when the exchange rate would make $15 less than £10 that is why in dozens of visits to Hughada airport I choose to pay in dollars. If I am wrong and you have used Hurghada airport and got change from £10 then you are lucky to be the exeption to the rule.

Regards

John

Manchester,UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa at hurghada airport

hiya

We "tried" to buy ours at the bank but were actually man handled by the so called thomas cook rep. He stood between me and the bank teller and refused to move! I was not happy at all and ended up paying the over inflated price of $18 each for 4 of us. I have informed thomas cook of this practice as they are over charging on each visa as they clearly state $15.

Not a good 1st impression for Hurghada I can tell you. 2 women and 2 young children being bullied at the airport!!

Nevertheless we will still return as we loved the rest of it. Next time I will be a force to be reckoned with lol

liverpool
Level Contributor
532 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa at hurghada airport

Disgusting but I'm pretty sure they aren't TC reps as I was told on the plane only airport staff allowed 2 be in the airpoty

Get answers to your questions about Makadi Bay
Recent Conversations