We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Arabesque

England
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Arabesque

Hey everyone,

Just booked a holiday to Fort Arabesque, Egypt. Never been to Egypt before, could anyone advise me what to take currency wise? I have herd it can be best to tip in dollars due to the availability of small denominations. But someone else told me some of the shops like Euros.

Any other advise you could give for a young couples first time in Egypt (or indeed anywhere other than Spain) would be greatly received.

Many thanks,

Alan

England
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Arabesque

Having dug about a bit it seems like Dollars are the way to go.

Anyone got any tips for the hotel itself? anyone going early August?

Rochester, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Arabesque

We are going from 9th - 23rd August, flying from Gatwick

Mike

Rochester, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Arabesque

We are going from 9th - 23rd August, flying from Gatwick

Mike

England
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Arabesque

we leave on the 5th. Have you been before?

Rochester, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Arabesque

Never been to Egypt at all, some friends went to FA 2 years ago & said it was very good

Reading, Berkshire
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Arabesque

yes we are going on the 29th July for 2 weeks.

herts
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort Arabesque

have been to egypt at least 12 times and was at the fort this time last year, i would advise egyptian pound as currency, you can use dollars but will get change in egyptian which gets rather confusing, we only ever take a small amount out with us and then change it over there for a better rate and money seems to go so much further out there, we spent hardly anything whilst at the fort so put the rest towards our forthcoming holiday in cuba on 2nd aug :o)

suffolk
Level Contributor
83 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort Arabesque

been to the fort sevel times all we do is tip at the end of stay £10 for a couple of weeks is a good tip to the bar staff or room cleaner

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fort Arabesque

Agree with diverbird, there is no point in changing money into Dollars. Just take English and change it into Egyptian Pounds at the hotel. Then use this as tips. If they don't have any small change then just go to the shop and buy a bar of chocolate!

Get a snorkelling mask and snorkel before you go to save you messing around haggling while you are there. Otherwise the shop in the Fort is the only option to buy one really unless you go into Hurghada.

£10 is what we also normally tip the maid but we usually leave 50 Egyptian pounds half way through week 1 and then the rest when we leave. 50 used to be £5 although the rate is slightly less now.

Remember it is going to be very very hot! Take a high factor cream such as factor 50 and cover your back with it before snorkelling. Either that or just take a t-shirt to wear in the sea.

north wales
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fort Arabesque

I have been to Egypt many times both on the mainland and the Sinai, I always go inti M&S (THEY ARE THE EASYEST TO GET SINGLE DOLLERS FROM) and get single Dollers both for tips and for spending, I also take £5.00 notes sterling for spending. you do not need anything else as they will acccept any currency.

Get answers to your questions about Makadi Bay
Recent Conversations