We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

This is the 2nd question I have posted today. Must be on a roll!!

Having just looked at some of the latest reviews regarding SRMB it puzzles me as to why the hotel doesnt respond to some of the reviews that are posted. Mostly the reviews are positive, however, there are a few negative ones that do creep in occasionally. I really love this hotel, but I understand that everyone's opinion of what's good and bad can differ greatly. Surely the hotel could take a few moments to reply to some of the negative reviews with a view to perhaps showing a willingness to address some of the issues that can be raised. That said it would also be nice for the hotel to give an appreciative response sometimes to those Who have given praise to their hotel. After all a lot of people make decisions regarding their holiday based on what they read on TA. Seeing responses from hotel management teams can be very reassuring.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

Hi there , i agree the hotel should most definately respond to the reviews, after i have read the latest reviews and seen the latest pictures on this place i will not be bookin this hotel EVER ! me and my husband were going to book this week but it looks a complete health hazard on the new pictures, i think it will put many more people off aswel.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

We stayed at this hotel for 10nts last May/June and on return wrote a very honest but mixed review and strangely it has been removed?!!

I have been a travel agent for 28yrs and have been lucky enough to visit many countries. I have been to Egypt 3 times.

We found the hotel "ok" - it is very hard when reading reviews as like you say everyones idea of good and bad is different which is why I tried in my review to be factual rather than opinion.

There were several reasons that I would not visit the hotel again but most of those are down to pure personal choice.

I was ill and hadn`t been ill on any previous visits to Egypt. I can`t prove that it was down to hygiene/cleanliness etc but all I can say is that I do think the pools were so large that they were not as clean as I would have liked. The buffet restaurant is also very big and busy so I would imagine difficult to maintain high standards.

It was value for money and great for kids/families etc but not the best but thats just my opinion

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

Hi there jandl , would you please be kind enough to recomend some nice clean hotels in egypt ? we have set our minds on going there in october but like i say have been completely put off sunrise royal cause of the new pics on trip advisor,. we will be traveling with 2 children and obviously want somewhere that is to a high standard as we have never been ill on holiday before always stayed in really nice places.

Any help would be much apreciated .

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

Hotels are aware that each review is the reviewers personal opinion.

A few hotels respond to each review with a thank you or an apology, and reading these can cause people to feel that it's just an auto response.

Some hotels will comment, if they feel they've been maligned or that they've done all that they could to help the reviewer at the time, however any holiday company will tell you that there are many people who say nothing, until they get home.

I'm not saying all negitive reviewers didn't complain in the hotel, but sometimes what is promised by the tour operator is not possible at the hotel - and this is something the hotel cannot help, much as they'd like to.

Jaycine

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

Recommendations, like reviews, are subjective. What is good to someone is okay or not great to the next person.

All anyone can do is give a , hopefully honest review of the hotel they stay in. What is great one week may not be the next as we all know that things can change quite quickly.

Look for hotels with consistently good reviews and put any criticisms into context. Eg if a couple felt their bed was too hard or too soft would that make or break your holiday. Or if one day the hotel ran out of bananas is that a deal breaker ?.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

This is what I meant when I said the hotel needs to respond to its reviews. Here are two potential customers both of whom were considering this hotel, but based on a recent review, and, fairly damming pictures they have both decided to look elsewhere.

Having been at this hotel myself I can honestly say that my family and myself had a great time, despite some minor annoyances. We found the cleanliness throughout to be of an acceptable level, and the staff were mostly excellent.

I'm not saying the hotel is perfect, and I believe their will be incidences of imperfection, but overall it's pretty good, in fact we are returning in July.

Although on the whole most reviews are positive, no hotel can afford to rest on its reputation. When people have been unhappy with their holiday experience it is vital that a hotel should respond and at least show some empathy, as well as looking to address the issues that have been raised. This could then offer reasurrance and greatly inspire confidence in both potential, and, future customers.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

I myself do read reviews on tripadvisors and have done for a few years now before booking holidays - I also write reviews but fair ones, I've been to egypt 13 times now, Sharm, Taba, Nile Cruises, Red Sea cruises and Makadi Bay etc it will be 15 visits to this country by the time the year ends and 3 to SRMB!!!

i go away 3 times a year. Im due to go SRMB in July and yesterday booked September, but agree the hotel needs to respond. But we have took look at the total figures and see where the majority of the reviews fall i.e. very much in favour of the hotel. I hope this blows over asap as this is turning potential clients away.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 00:01
colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

I also read reviews, and did for a long time before starting to write them. I also used to check the Gazetteer in travel agents before the mass availability of review sites.

I tend to use a similar method of judgeing hotels, as is used in marking diving contests - disregerd the top and bottom 10%'s, and average out the rest.

If one or more reviews are notably worse than the rest, I will probably look up their contribution history, to see if similar themes run through other reviews they've made.

I accept reviews are subjective, just as I accept brochures are not there to point out any issues - therefore the onus is on me to make the best use of all the information available before I make any booking.

Jaycine

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

We always read reviews also before we book, we were still going to book SRMB even though it had some bad reviews , as we all know everyone is not going to be pleased by the same thing and the good reviews seem to praise the place so much i thought it sounded fantastic just what we were looking for.

However since the new photos have come on it must be enough not just to put me off but tons of other people thinking of booking, the last thing i would want for my 2 children is to eat a burger as shown in the picture or get an infection from the pools if there not cleaned properly. Its in the hotels best interest to respond to these reviews to either say this is not a true representation of the hotel or to at least say they will address these problems, does the manager even realise burgers are being dished out like that? he would if he read trip advisor. Im feeling very disapointed and confused about this place , we had set our hearts on going. If anyone reading these comments can get in touch with SRMB perhaps they should advice them of these pictures and advise them to respond. Otherwise i feel they will loose loads of potential clients .

Castleford
Level Contributor
270 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SRMB: Hotel responses to reviews!!

As a regular, repeat visitor to the SRMR over the past few years, my wife and I are as dissapointed as anyone to read the recent poor reviews which have appeared on Trip Advisor.

Allthough no official response has yet been posted by the hotel management, I can assure you that they will be fully aware of what has been said and will have carried out out full investigations in to these complaints. Some of these complaints may be justified but I sometimes question the motives of people who post extremely critical reviews.

Some of the generalisations I have read are completely ludicrous, especially regarding food and service! I would be very interested to know if they actually reported any of their problems to the hotel managers when they were still in the resort or just moaned to themselves while going around with a magnifying glass trying to identify pubic hairs in plug holes or looking under beds. Granted a split mattress is not desirable but who would pull all the bedclothes off to check for it? If you are unhappy with any aspect of your holiday, it is important that you report it at the time so that the management can try their utmost to put things right and keep their guests happy. It's no good letting it simmer and making every little thing into something major if you dont give them chance to sort things for you

. The internet is full of keyboard warriors who don't complain in person about anything but can't wait to go online and slag things off and scare other people who will be looking forward to their holiday or potentially looking to book. I would never claim that the hotel is perfect but the staff do work extremely hard to give their guests a memorable vacation.

We ourselves have had minor issues during our stays but we have always reported them immediately to a manager, and they have all had action taken almost immediately to rectify the matter.

On one occasion we were swimming in the Main Family Pool which is a very large expanse of water. We noticed some debris on the floor in the middle of the pool which was not visible from the surrounds of the pool but we could feel it with our feet. We reported it to one of the Pool Attendants and within minutes a group of the Recreation Team were in the pool with their cleaning equipment and put it right. Shortly after, their manager came round to see us and thanked us for reporting it. We also witnessed one young guy cleaning round the tiles of the swim up pool bar while we were actually sat there!

Knowing a lot of the hotel's managers personally, I know these issues and the resulting criticism will have hurt them very much and they will be pulling out all the stops to prevent them happening again. The hotel is very pro-active and their hygiene standards, especially in the kitchens are exceptionally high

. In such a huge complex with a massive amount of guests passing through the hotel every year, there are bound to be the odd occasion when things go awry. The hotel is presently being refurbished block by block, and another brand new block has very recently come on stream. If anyone is due to go here or was thinking about booking an holiday here just go do it...you wont be dissapointed!!! It is a trait of the British people but we tend to believe a very few negative posters over the vast majority of guests who are very happy with their holidays at this hotel....you only have to look at the percentage of excellent reviews for the place.

We ourselves after several great holidays here, have 2 further holidays already booked and looking to book another in spring of next year...not the actions of someone who believed standards were falling. and our last which was at the end of April/early May was the best yet! Just book it, go with an open mind and you will have a great time. In our opinion this hotel offers the best value for money of any hotel anywhere in the world. You can have the most relaxing or action packed time whichever suits you. Just go do it!!!