We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa

East Sussex
Level Contributor
122 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Visa

Does anyone know if the price of the visa has gone up, as it was supposed to? We are supposed to go on 15th (TC permitting!!) and I'd like to go prepared with the right money.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa

Still as it is, 15 US$ or the equivalent.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa

There have been recent reports that travellers have received notification from their travel company (TC to name one) that the visa fee is increasing.

This may be true if you let theTC rep give you your visa, as they routinely charge anything from £13 to £18 for what is a less than £10 visa, so if you do not want to pay this extra amount then simply get your own visa from the bank booths in the airport arrivals hall.

I bought 2 single entry visas a few weeks ago upon my arrival in Egypt, for less than £10 each (from the bank booths) and recent reports state that the marked price remains the same at $15 (US), which is a little less than £10 (GB) at todays exchange rate.

kent
Level Contributor
132 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa

hi did you give them English notes or dollars !

thanks tina

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa

£20 (GB) for 2 visas.

East Sussex
Level Contributor
122 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa

Thanks so my usual £10 each at the bank desk will do!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa

£10 Sterling would be more than adequate to cover the cost of the single entry visa and give you a rather small amount of change.

Sorry but the continual practice of both airport reps, and to some extent the tour companies, of heavily overcharging visitors for the visa is a real bug bear of mine and, now that they are trying to convince tourists that this overcharging is some sort of official price increase, does tend to be one of those things that will almost always prompt a correction via the TA forums when I see reports of it being posted.

LIVERPOOL
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay, Hurghada
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa

I am not one to defend Thomas cook but to be fair to them in this case they have passed information to guests given to them by the Egyptian government that the entry visa price would increase on 1st November, this was an increase announced in May 2013 to be implemented from 1st November 2013 which has since been canceled by the Egyptian authorities. The only thing TC are guilty of is being behind the times with information.

For the time being the cost of the visa remains at $15 per person if you pay in any other currency you are at the mercy of an exchange rate set by the local airport banks or indeed the reps if you choose to pay with them, this exchange rate may not allways be the daily bank rate so to remove any confusion on price or exchnage rate I would advise you all to pay at the bank desks and pay in US Dollars.

John

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa

"the Egyptian government that the entry visa price would increase on 1st November, this was an increase announced in May 2013 to be implemented from 1st November 2013 which has since been canceled by the Egyptian authorities."

Never happened, no idea where TC got this info.

LIVERPOOL
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay, Hurghada
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa

Hi Khaledmh it was all over the press at the time if you google it you will see,but no matter as it did not happen.

John

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa

When I first heard about this sometime back, I searched everywhere and I got in contact with immigration and the banks at the Cairo airport. They all denied it and said its only rumours. Later on, I found out that one of the previous parliament members suggested the increase, but it was refused on the spot.

As you said, "no matter as it did not happen." :)

Khaled.