We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

Having made a big mistake when we last went to Egypt (not Makadi bay) by booking an absolutely diabolical hotel after having been taken in by a lot of fake reviews, I am dithering about committing to the Fort Arabesque even though it looks perfect for us. The reviews are very good, but just like last time quite a few of them are the poster's 1st review and very short which makes me nervous and I couldn't bear 2 weeks of what we had to endure last time. The price is similar to last time too and considering that was 2 years ago it just makes me wonder even more. The one thing about the last hotel was that the staff would do absolutely anything for the guests to make things as good as they possibly could but that was because they themselves knew, and would openly admit, that the hotel was c***. People are now saying how wonderfully helpful, friendly and attentive the Fort Arabesque staff are and it just makes me a bit anxious.

When I look at the photos it all looks lovely but please, please, please can anyone reassure me that this hotel really is as nice as it seems?

PS I realise I've missed the 'u' off ' Arabesque'but it won't let me edit the title!

Edited: 11 February 2014, 09:17
Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

Never mind, you will just have to go back.......

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

... and maybe the NHS will pay :-)

Taunton, United...
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

Nice review you just posted, Wid.

So pleased we managed to convince you to book FA.

Shame about the snorkelling - it really is the best. There's always next time...

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

Whilst we were there (came home last week) I knew of two couples (I spoke to them) that were at the Sunrise next door and DEMANDED to the T.C. rep that they either flew them home or "put" them in "The Fort" they did!!! Sunrise was full of children so obviously some countries have different holidays to the U.K. It is so so busy at Sunrise and obviously full of ********** We have just booked for two more visits to the "The Fort".

Taunton, United...
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

Pure coincidence, I'm sure, that the Russian Federation's schools had their Spring Break this year 24-31 March :-)

Worth checking here in future? : holidays-europe.com/calendar/…

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

Ah thanks for the tip Tony......but it is a much busier hotel anyway big is not always beautiful !!

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

Thanks Tony. Yes it was a shame about the snorkelling but I didn't let it spoil things. I am still coughing and saw my GP today. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick it finally into touch. There is one thing I forgot to put in my review which I had intended to and that is about the smoking issue that some people are starting to bang on about. I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. I cannot stand the smell of cigarettes and all I can say is that we saw / smelt about 4 ciggies the whole time we were there and that was always outside. I saw no one smoking in the restaurant whether it be in the non smoking bit (obviously) or not. Maybe it's more of a problem in the east wing.

Bf - we thought the Sunrise was the hotel from hell. It looked like Butlins and we said that if we had inadvertently booked there for our holiday, there is no way on earth we would have stayed. It's beyond me how anyone could want to spend a single day in the place.

Taunton, United...
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

The SRM has a lot of fans on this forum, Wid.

It looked OK when I walked through to get to their cash machine and shops. Not a patch on FA, of course...

And I agree with your point about smoking. I'm an ex-smoker, and still gasp for a fag, especially after a few drinks. Which means I'm really, really sensitive to the smell of cuggies. Saw hardly any indoors at FA.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 14:53
norfolk
Level Contributor
131 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

Each to his or her own. I recently spent two weeks at the Sunrise Royal Makadi Bay and cant wait to go back. Took a tour round Fort Arabesque and the place was half dead; very depressing. I personally prefer a livelier atmosphere.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Fort Arabesqe - reassure me, please?

Good job we are all different of there would be one very large, very full hotel and nothing else!!!

We had a fab time at the fort a few years ago and are going back in October ( situation permitting)

We have been to Egypt about 15 times and this is the first time we have been back to a hotel. We have stayed a loads of very nice hotels and a couple of not quite so nice, but we have enjoyed all our holidays there.

Get answers to your questions about Makadi Bay
Recent Conversations