We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

Hi All,

We are heading back to Makadi Bay after spending our honeymoon at Makadi Spa last year, this time were taking the kids with us and staying at Fort Arabesque!

One thing that put a bit of a damper on our stay at Makadi Spa was the AI policy on drinks was a real pain as the mini bar only had water and we couldnt take any other bottles from the bar upto our room unless we paid, this was a nightmare as we had paid for a room with a private plunge pool so to have no alcoholic or even soft drinks available FOC was annoying!

I have read that the Fort Arabesque mini bar is much better than this and is stocked with Soft Drinks which is replenished daily (by ticking an order form) and you can also take drinks from the beach bar up to your room, is this still the case and are there bottled beers which you can take to your room on AI?

Also is there AI icecream available throughout the day or is it only available at certain times?

Hope you can help guys!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
860 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

Yes it is. You are much better to book other than Saga unless you need the Saga insurance. The only benefits from Saga are their "care" (which is brilliant if you need it), a separate bar/lounge but frankly the main bar in the same building is used more by Saga guests than theirs is (as it is nicer overlooking one of the pools and the drinks selection is identical) and the once per visit special Saga Dinner. You pay a big premium for little benefit unless you need their on-site assistance. We always book separate Flights (Monarch or Thomas Cook), Hotel (via Thomas Cook usually) and Transfers and save many hundreds of £ versus the Saga price.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,263 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

Claire that is a huge eye opener. Though a free mini bar is more than I need. A couple of ice creams in it is a great bonus.

I have used Saga but the lounges are deadly and I hate the enforced last meal. I never take their insurance either. In fact I find the whole set up patronising. So whoopie! I can get some great last minute deals from Thompsons.

I somehow from reading what others had written on here in the past thought that their rooms were specially located or something.

Got to say I went to Sharm el Sheikh with them and the room location was excellent.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
860 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

I would recommend emailing the hotel a week or so before going and ask for a room in the West Wing/Saga Block. That is a separate Block with its own Bar and Restaurant and it is where the Saga Rooms are located. It is quieter and smaller than the main block and has a nice heated/easy entry pool right outside the Bar. Great service here too as Restaurant staff are exceptionally professional and courteous as well as friendly (we find they can sometimes be a bit "overfriendly" in some hotels).

I can send you a private message with email address if you need it.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
860 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

I should add really that the minibar will only contain soft drinks and water when you arrive but you can ask the room boys for beer and also just put some in yourself taken from the fridges in the bar. I even took a bottle of wine once (white and rose are in the fridges for self service also) and just said to the bar man "this is OK, isn't it?" and he said "I never saw you!" Good answer! Otherwise, you can ask for a large Gin in a glass (or two), put it in a Water Bottle and just take your Tonics with you...that's what I do every couple of days.

lancs
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

Thanks for the update Clare.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,263 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

Thanks Clare. That's really enlightening. I'm not that fussed about a seperate bar and restaurant as I'm on my own it would be nice to have company. I'm not a heated pool person either but quiet would be nice. I had a certain group partying till 3 in the morning above my room on my last Egypt trip!

My main reason for going is the snorkeling

Can I ask one last thing? The Saga guests have tea making in their room. Is that a special or is it general? Usually I just get a cup of tea in the evening from somewhere to take to my room in other places. They don't seem to mind as I return the cup.

Taunton, United...
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay
Level Contributor
881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

As far as I know, Sue, it's free to all AI guests. I went last year with Fleetway (cheapest I could find!). There was no mention on their site of a minibar, but it was included all the same.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
860 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

There is no tea and coffee in the room for non Saga guests but you can get a cup from the bar and take it back. You can get a kettle, tea and coffee in your room but they charge quite a lot...can't recall exactly but I think it is something like 5 euro per day which we thought was too much when we asked about it. Not really necessary for us as we always get up and go straight to breakfast in mornings and have coffee in bar after dinner.

I would still recommend you ask for the Saga Block/West Wing as it is quieter than main part of the hotel and staff there really get to know your likes. Pool area is nice and quiet also but I would guess you would sit on the beach most times anyway. We like the beach here (not usually beach people, prefer pools) as there is good space between the sun shades so not crowded and also you can just walk along to either of the two beach bars and have a nice shady or sunny seat while you have your drink or ice cream depending on what the weather is like when you go. (Bars also do coffee/tea)

Taunton, United...
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay
Level Contributor
881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

Saga guests get tea & coffee stuff in their room, no matter what grade of room they book. Regular guests get T&C if they upgrade to a Superior room or better, or pay 5EUR a day.

Different strokes for different strokes, but it didn't seem worth it to me. Don't spend that much time in the room, except for my eight hours Olympic snoring practice.

We took a travel kettle, teabags and little sterilised milk cartons. Take instant coffee, too, if that's your thing; I found it impossible to buy any locally, even in the "supermarket" at Souk Makadi. Senzo Mall probably has it, but I wasn't that desperate for caffeine!

Edited: 23 June 2014, 12:15
lancs
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Fort Arabesque AI Policy - Drinks and Icecream!

Do all the rooms have an iron?

Get answers to your questions about Makadi Bay
Recent Conversations