We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to dive or not to dive ??

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
913 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
to dive or not to dive ??

We have a trip planned for May to the Hilton in Nuweiba.I'm very nearly 50 and have always, albeit with some trepidation, wanted to do a PADI diving course.I read that I can start a course in the U.K. and finish it in 2 or 3 days in Egypt.Just wanted the views of the divers on this site.Am I too old to learn to dive and is it worth trying to do the whole course before leaving the U.K.We live on the North East coast so open water dives wouldn't be a problem, we also have 2 dive/surf shops close by that offer diving courses.Ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Nuweiba
Nuweiba
South Sinai, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
north wales
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to dive or not to dive ??

Hi Seagull!

No you're not too old to learn to dive!! I learned at the grand old age of 50, and absolutely love it!! My husband was a diver, I had a try dive in Sharm. He insisted I came home and learned with a B.S.A.C club, which I did. In fact even the dive centre in Sharm said learn at home, " you don't want to spending your holiday in a classroom", that's what they said. I'm now a Sports Diver, I like it that much, and may well progress further. Go for it girl!! If you've got more questions, you can e-mail me. Have a good time anyway.

leics
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: to dive or not to dive ??

50 certainly isn't too old - not in Nuweiba, they have a guy 70+ goes there to dive.

The beach at Nuweiba is a really easy entry into the water so it's one of the best places to learn.

If you visit the PADI website you can do the theory on-line before going on holiday. Just check with Emperor divers (via their website or Facebook entry) how they would handle this.

At the very least do a try dive early in your holiday, and go prepared to fork out for the full course when you surface...

If you want to learn first go ahead, but in the NE you'll most likely need to use a dry suit etc which isn't necessary in Egypt so there'll be some re-learning out there. Ask the local places to take you for a try-dive; when the sea warms up a little bit. Uk diving is very different to Red Sea, but both are good and both offer loads of marine life to see.

Mentioned in this post
Nuweiba
Nuweiba
South Sinai, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Tonbridge
Level Contributor
84 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to dive or not to dive ??

Hi, do the theory in England and practical in Egypt. We are experienced divers and have been diving in the Nuweiba area for the past 3 years. We have seen dolphins and turtles along with hundreds of other colourful fish. The dive sites are great with good visibility and warm, clear water, particularly at the House Reef in Nuweiba (unlike the UK!). Don't spoil your holiday by doing all the theory in Egypt, it's hard work and time consuming. Have a wonderful time. Incidently we are 48 and 53, it's never too late to learn to dive.

Debby

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Nuweiba
Nuweiba
South Sinai, Egypt
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
724 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to dive or not to dive ??

Too old at 50? It makes me so sad when people say that.

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: to dive or not to dive ??

My cousin did the PADI open water a couple of years go with African Divers Nuweiba and he was turning 55.

My son did the course also with African Divers Nuweiba a couple of years ago when aged only 14.

Never too old or too young :-)

Mentioned in this post
Nuweiba
Nuweiba
South Sinai, Egypt
Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
913 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: to dive or not to dive ??

Thanks all for replies,I don't feel 50 still 24 in my head,its the rest of me that lets me down !! Again many thanks for taking the time to reply.

regards to all

Seagull6

7. Re: to dive or not to dive ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 05:26