We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olin the dolphin

England
Level Contributor
621 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Olin the dolphin

Can anyone tell me if the dolphin named Olin still swims in the bay by the bedouin village. I have read accounts of this on the web. Apparently she is very friendly and totally free. She comes into the bay and is comfortable swimming with people. Would like to her if anybody has hear of or has had a swim with her,

leics
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Olin the dolphin

Ollin died in October 2004. Her body was found on a beach near Nuweiba.

Her story is told in a book "The Dolphin's Boy" by Pascal Noa Berkovitch (amazon.co.uk/Dolphins-Boy-Pascale-Noa-Bercov…) although the book was written before she started appearing regularly in the sea off Hilton hotel. This book provides a very poignant image of Nuweiba, of the local Bedouins and of Ollin. Well worth a read.

England
Level Contributor
621 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olin the dolphin

Oh thanks for that. How sad....I was looking forward to a swim with her having enjoyed the company of wild dolphins in Marsa Alam. I'm going to order the book today.

nuweiba, sinai
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olin the dolphin

Abdalla, the beduin boy, closest friend of Olin and her daughter Shmia still lives in Muzeina, not far away from Port Nuweiba. Abdalla is the boy who first met them and gave 'em names. Abdalla has serious communication problem, but if You want to meet him and talk to him i can suggest You some english speaking beduin who can translate Abdallas sign language. I wrote the story of Olin and Shmia in estonian language but i'm not sure it helps You. I don't know about book mentioned in previous post. Abdalla told me that first he found body of Olin on the bottom of sea, speargun mark in her side. And few years later another speared dolphin was found somewhere north from Nuweiba. Abdalla said that he didn't want to see it, but his fishing parter went there. He recognized it was Shmia, daughter of Olin. Beduins buried the body into desert.

Abdalla is poor fisherman. He is happy to tell you the story and show you the pics of Olin and Shmia. Or sell you some of his catch. You can also go fishing with him. If you go and use his hospitality, please don't be cheap. Some people are.

4. Re: Olin the dolphin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2010, 05:17