We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Catherine's to Petra transportation?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Topic
St. Catherine's to Petra transportation?

I am going to Mt. Sinai/St. Catherine's in June and I'll be going to Sinai following a bus ride from Cairo. I would like to continue onto Petra, Jordan, but everything I've read makes it seem very complicated. What is the best or quickest way to get from St. Catherine's to Petra? Any idea about costs involved? I am American and any info about visas and border crossings would be helpful also.

3 replies to this topic
Saint Catherine...
Level Contributor
79 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Catherine's to Petra transportation?

Taxi to Taba 400LE

Then you need a taxi to the Jordan/Israel border: US$5?

Exit fee Israel (98NIS p.p.)

Taxi from border to Aqaba 5JD.

Bus to Petra ??

Or: Bedouin Bus to Nuweiba 50LE (only on Wed. or Sun.)

East Delta Bus to Taba 15LE?

rest as above

Or: taxi to Nuweiba 200LE

Ferry to Aqaba USD 85 (one way on Meenagate)

Bus to Petra ??

It all depends if you mind having an Israeli stamp in your passport or not (in case you want to go to Lebanon, Iran, Pakistan, Sudan etc.)

Good luck!

Edited: 30 April 2012, 22:15
Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Lebanon
Lebanon
Middle East
Iran
Iran
Middle East
Sudan
Sudan
Africa
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Catherine's to Petra transportation?

I see that there is still a travel advisory relating to the North Sinai Governate. We want to travel from Dahab through Taba and into Israel (briefly) and then on to Jordan. We hope to do this with our small children. Does anyone know if this is considered safe? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Israel
Israel
Middle East
In Motion
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Catherine's to Petra transportation?

I was supposed to do this trip but something came up and at the end I didn't - so can't give you advice from first hand experience. But it should be possible and safe, and it is all in the "green zone" on the UK's FCO map. North Sinai is quite far from here, the troublespot in North Sinai even further.

You might get more answers if you post your question on the Taba forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g297557-i9295-Taba…

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Reply to: St. Catherine's to Petra transportation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted