We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water in airport

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
water in airport

Can we take bottled water through airport security at Sharm airport as we have heard they have the same liquid restrictions as UK airports ie 100 ML.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: water in airport

We came back Sunday evening and there are posters up claiming there are restrcitions on the liquids carried but I saw persons carrying through large bottles of water / coke etc and I didnt see anyone confiscate any of these liquids.

Cheshire England
Level Contributor
265 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: water in airport

We came back last week and yes, bottles of water were being taken off people. The restrictions do seem to be the same as ours.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: water in airport

Hi,

We came back in Jan.

Sharm airport staff were very stressed - airport in chaos - 15 flights grounded for 1.5 hrs as their presdent was passing thru & the airport has to come to a standstill.

Altho it was a very unpleasent, cramped, smoky 1.5 hrs (never known it so bad in 3 hols, plus 6 internal flights for excursions) we seemed to strike lucky. They didn't charge xs baggage (yet got stung, for 1st time ever on way out at EMA) & nobody cared what liquids we were carrying.

In theory, all restrictions are the same as ours.

REMEMBER to carry loo roll on way back & wipes, for freshening up - it's such a tiny, over crowded, smoky place. They'll try & charge you for loo roll.

Regards

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: water in airport

When we came back on Thursday it was hit & miss - some went through with it, others had to bin it!!

Whatever the case, you can buy water at the airport. Don't wait until you're on the aeroplane - it cost us £1.50 500ml bottle and they ran out!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: water in airport

Officially, all Egyptian airports started applying the limited liquid materials policies with the beginning of March. However, I don't think the policy will be strictly enforced all the time. I think it will be one of those things that are governed by the personal preference of the particular chief security officer who is responsible in the time of your flight. The overall mood here towards those policies that they are exaggerated and unnecessary, but Egypt chose to apply them just to comply with the international aviation regulations. Therefore, I wouldn't expect this application to be serious all the time.

But to cut a long story short, officially, same rules apply here as in the UK. So, if you bring water and drinks, you will be taking a risk, though, you shouldn't be surprised if they let you go with it.

6. Re: water in airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh