We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Naama Bay next week

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Naama Bay next week

So after a lot of thinking, missing on a great last minute deal for a nice hotel in Hurghada I have now booked an 8 day trip to Naama Bay next week. I cannot wait to get there, as I enjoyed my trip two years ago. Not expecting too much of the hotel as long the pool and beach is nice - and if the food isn't at least the area seems to have plenty of restaurants.... As long I can relax after a tough year, my last holiday a year ago, I will be happy.

I have a few questions though. My last trip was a dive holiday, diving every day except the last one. This time I might dive two days, but I would also love to see a bit of the area.

One reason I was disappointed by missing out the deal on Hurghada was the ability to easily travel to Luxor. From Sharm I understand you need to fly. Is the day trip actually worth the money (seems to be around $150), or is it far too rushed?

An alternative place that I am interested in is Mount Sinai and St. Catherine monastery. I read the ascent can be quite tough. Despite this, is it really one of the highlights in that region?

Or are there any other trips I should consider (like the desert trips with evening bbq)?

And a final question, are there any nice restaurants on the east part of Naama Bay (staying at the Oriental Rivol Hotel) in case I want to eat outside the hotel?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Hurghada
Hurghada
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Na'ama Bay
Na'ama Bay
3,896 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
4 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Naama Bay next week

Hello. I am an American that has lived in Sharm since June 2016. For eating in Naama Bay, I would recommend walking across El Salaam Road to the other side and go to Little Buddha and Fairuz. I've ate at the Hilton on the same side as the Oriental Rivoli. Although they technically have Mexican and Italian restaurants, they are not run as that anymore due to the lack in tourism. While tourism is gradually increasing, it hasn't consistently increased enough for many establishments to resume such things.

There are also a few places in Genena City Mall (the other side of Naama Bay) that people like, They have a cafe with decent things and coffee that is one of the few places here that open early.

Two other options are a bit further way (you would need to take a cab) - Il Mercato (aka- Hadaba) and Soho Square. There are a variety of cuisines to choose from at Soho Square, as well as shops. In Il Mercato there is a local place called Gad that is incredibly reasonable with my favorite falafel in the area, and two restaurants run by Italians expats who live here - Solo Pasta & Pizza (aka - Il Forno) and La Pentolaccia.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy traveling!

Mentioned in this post
Na'ama Bay
Na'ama Bay
3,896 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Little Buddha
Little Buddha
838 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Fairuz
Fairuz
593 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Oriental Rivoli Hotel & SPA
Oriental Rivoli Hotel...
1,040 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Genena City
Genena City
70 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Il Mercato Hotel & Spa
Il Mercato Hotel & Spa
726 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
SOHO Square
SOHO Square
4,744 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Naama Bay next week

I would do the St Catherine / Moses mountain trip and save Luxor for a time when you do a dive holiday in Safaga, Quseir or even Marsa Alam. Note though you can not fly the day after diving - of course you know this - but you can not even climb Moses Mountain. Unless you do the climb in the afternoon to see the sunset and do just two morning dives the day before.

Unfortunately most tour companies do the Moses mountain climb in the night, zip through the monastery in the morning and head to Dahab for lunch and shopping. It really needs to be done individually or think about staying in Dahab where you can do the diving, St Catherine and even get to Cairo by Go Bus.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Safaga
Safaga
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Marsa Alam
Marsa Alam
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Dahab
Dahab
South Sinai, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Naama Bay next week

Thanks.

I heard about Soho square, so I might head there during one evening. Are any of the eateries along the promenade any good? Even one of the Shisha bars? Having dinner or a tea overlooking the sea sounds a nice thig to do.

And thanks for the advise about the monastery and the Mount Sinai, Swiss. THe trip would certainly impact my planned two dive trips. But as you have seen, I am now focuisng of a 2 day trip to Cairo instead of the monastery. Doing both will be probably too much, as I def need some downtime during this trip (which I usually don't do too often).

Mentioned in this post
SOHO Square
SOHO Square
4,744 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Naama Bay next week

Thanks Jensy, your response was really helpful. Sorry for jumping on this thread but as a Sharm faithful, I am missing my annual trips terribly and would love to find a way to get back there to not only enjoy it's beauty, but to also support local infrastructure.

Can you advise on the best route to travel down and also generally how things are (i.e. what is open), given that tourism must be greatly decreased...

Thanks

Reply to: Trip to Naama Bay next week
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted