We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tender from a Cruise Ship

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Tender from a Cruise Ship

We are due to visit Sharm from a cruise ship, the last Friday of October. We have now been told that we will need to tender from our ship as Mein Schiff 1 is in port the same day. Does anyone know where the tenders will go to in the resort? I am wondering if they will go to the cruise terminal, or somewhere more central, which is often the case.

Our passengers will be mainly British, so cannot go out of the resort area due to FOC advice (we would not be insured), but does anyone know if the same will apply to the German passengers on the other ship? Just thinking the resort may be a bit overrun with cruise passengers that day.

Edited: 03 October 2017, 17:13
12 replies to this topic
Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tender from a Cruise Ship

Hi

There is no FCO advising against travel out of Sharm that I am aware of, can you spread more light?

Karen

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tender from a Cruise Ship

Yes sorry, by road yes, my mistake

Sharm is quite a large area so I’m sure it won’t be too over crowded

Karen

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,976 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tender from a Cruise Ship

From the FCO website. “The FCO advise against all but essential travel to: “the Governorate of South Sinai, with the exception of the area within the Sharm el Sheikh perimeter barrier, which includes the airport and the areas of Sharm el Maya, Hadaba, Naama Bay, Sharks Bay and Nabq; however, we advise against all but essential travel by air to or from Sharm el Sheikh;”

Edited: 03 October 2017, 18:37
Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tender from a Cruise Ship

The Cruise ship will Anchor just outside the International Harbour. When another cruise ship is in Port they tend to tender to steps which is the same birth as the Sharm to Hurghada Ferry.

This is some way south of Sharm itself but always plenty of taxis. If they do not use that method then they will use the side where The Mercure Inn is. Still in the same bay though.

You have no restrictions in Sharm it is just the airport inbound and outbound. Remember if you do leave the perimeter fence area you will be subject to purchase a visa for each passport at a cost of $25. If in Port for a day I would not see any point of leaving Sharm itself.

Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tender from a Cruise Ship

You do not need to buy a visa when you leave Sharm, only if you travel westwards towards Tor and onwards to mainland Egypt.

The marina is not too far out of Sharm... maybe 20 - 25 minutes walk from what they call the Old Town where there are plenty of small restaurants and shops. Another few miles eastwards is Naama Bay where one wil find more shops and restaurants.

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tender from a Cruise Ship

OK, thank you all for the helpful replies, especially Jared M who was able to tell me where ships tender to.

I have found the Hurghada Ferry berth but searching the net for the Mercure Inn only took me to a Novotel in Naama Bay, which appears to be 8-9 km away from International Bay. Jared, you mentioned that the Mercure Inn was still on the same bay, so I assume that is the one to the west of the normal cruise terminal. If that is the case, is the Mercure Inn nearer to the cruise terminal (at the east of that bay), or is it to the western side, on the edge of the resort?

I must admit I did not realise the size of the resort of Sharm. I have looked on Google Earth and cannot make out the best place to head for as all I can see is hotels. We are only in port for just over half a day, so may just go for a stroll along the coast, but will we be able to see the sea from the road, or is it all private hotel beaches? I can see that Naama Bay, (which appears to be the centre of Sharm) is a distance away - is that what is called the Old Town? Overall can anyone advise the best place to head for a stroll and a drink or two?

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tender from a Cruise Ship

My bad the Mercure is called Luna or Luna Sharm Hotel what ever you do don't book a room it is not the best.

Just jump in a taxi and say Naama bay it will not cost much agree a price though anything close to 100Le is fair price.

Plenty to keep you occupied and a walk along the pedestrian road which runs from 1 end of the bay to the other.

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tender from a Cruise Ship

Sorry Jared, I am still slightly confused. You originally wrote " If they do not use that method then they will use the side where The Mercure Inn is. Still in the same bay though", so do you mean that cruise ships sometimes send tenders to Naama Bay?

From your last post I assume you seem to be recommending that we get a taxi from International Bay (near the normal cruise dock) to Naama Bay as that is a good place for a stroll - is that correct?

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tender from a Cruise Ship

My bad. I have never known tenders to drop in Naama Bay as never seen a facility to do this.

If you look at Google maps or Google earth. Find the Sharm to Hurghada Ferry terminal the cruise ships dock to the right of the Ferry terminal the Mercure Luna is on the Dock side on the Right hand side point of the port. If you look to the left of the Ferry terminal I think they call it Port Jerry where tenders land but it can be busy in that area. They sometimes use a set of steps to the left of the Ferry Terminal or if a cruise ship already docked there is a set of steps on that side also. All disembark places are within that area.

It is a long walk to Naama Bay the nearest area or Old Sharm and I would just take a taxi. A price of 100LE is more than enough so haggle.

Naama Bay will have enough to keep you occupied. Has loads of shops, shopping centres, restaurants and bars.

There is a pedestrian walkway back of Naama Bay and is a good walk end to end.

There is even a Hard Rock Cafe and a McDonald's if desperation sets in.

Some lovely restaurants and on Naama Bay Le Fleur if you feel like something special but I have no idea if it is still open as admittedly not been Sharm in 3 years.

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tender from a Cruise Ship

Thank you very much, I understand now. Not your fault, it seems the hotel used to be a Mercure but is not now.

The only Mercure group hotel I could find in Sharm is on Naama Bay. I was just trying to be too clever by searching Google Earth and the Mercure website.

Lots of other info in your post which we will find very useful - so thanks again.

Reply to: Tender from a Cruise Ship
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh