We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharm Airport

Nuneaton
Level Contributor
111 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Sharm Airport

Does anyone know if the new airport is operational as yet??? or any idea when it will be????

Thx :)

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharm Airport

Well the old airport has never been fully operational, I don't imagine the new one will be any better.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharm Airport

Aardvaak,

Have you seen the stir you've caused on the other airport thread?

Did the lorry arrive with all its goods intact?

: )

x

Cheshire England
Level Contributor
265 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharm Airport

Can anyone answer mooer's question please??

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharm Airport

Hi,

In early Jan '07, local expert Darsh posted, "It was supposed to be ready last November, but some delays happened. The new expected opening date is next April."

Haven't heard anymore. Maybe Darsh would be able to give an update if you PM him?

Regards

5. Re: Sharm Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2007, 14:04
Reading
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharm Airport

We were there mid March and were told it would be ready in the last week of March.

However, lots of windows were missing and goodness knows what else.

My guess March 2008!!!

:)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharm Airport

I get my info from the local press and it has been sometime since I last read anything about the Airport. I guess this means there might be further delays. I will tell you if I know anything.

New York
Level Contributor
134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharm Airport

Was at the (old) airport terminal a couple days ago. The new terminal has much but not all of its exterior finished, with some glazing needed on the "plane side" of the building. Could not get a good look at the interior, but my guess it is unlikely to open until late 2007. Airports are notoriously difficult to finish -- witness Denver in the 1990s or Bangkok more recently -- due to the complexity of their systems. When you add in the Egyptian "malesh" aspect to things, it could easily be 2008. The good news is that the design looks really nice -- high ceilings, lots of glass, tented roof, presumably nice shopping.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharm Airport

Let' s hope it's got a PA system!!!

There are other aspects I hope for, but that'll do for starters. Thanx for update : )

Regards

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharm Airport

Flew out from there yesterday and we were told that the new terminal wouldn't be ready till 'late summer'.

But don't worry, the aiport's not THAT bad. We experienced a slight delay in leaving (very common) but apart from that we found it OK both arriving and leaving.

I can see that it must get a bit overstretched in July/Aug peak, but travelling in April we thought it nowhere near as bad as people have said on this website, and better than, say, Dalaman in Turkey

On your return flight, take some water and toilet paper and if you don't want to pay £3 for a slice a pizza take a snack from your hotel buffet (we took bread, cheese, ham etc form our breakfast buffet wrapped up in napkins).

Also: if you like a drink to steady your pre-flight nerves, as we do, take some with you, eg some wine in a plastic water bottle. There's no alcohol served in the airport cafe.