We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security Fears

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
2 posts
Save Topic
Security Fears

Anyone just back from Sharm, if so please advise if there is any truth in the fact that locals dont take too kindly to tourists and do they keep to their side of the alleged line and tourists on the other goverened by arm guards. Has there been any riots with locals and Brittish who have set up home there.

Please let me know as i have booked to go this october with my family and am now concerened with what i have heard.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security Fears

Hi,

We've been to Sharm 3 times (Xmas & New Year) & never had any fears re: security. One year, we went in the Dec after the bombs. Security had been stepped up from the previous year & there are more tourist police about, cars & buses aren't allowed into the hotel grounds, or the centre of Sharm, without leaving their papers at the gates / check points, but the security, for all I've said, isn't overwhelming or intrusive. The hotel security may want to check your bags as you re-enter the hotel every eve, but they do it with a smile (at least they do at ours) & it's all designed to make you feel safe.

Our sons (21 & 18) go out of resort, day & night, hail themselves a taxi & go to the karing track. I'm far happier with them doing that there than I am in our home town or my elder son's uni town. We all feel very safe whne walking about Na'ama Bay.

I've never heard of this alleged line or any riots. Sharm & all it's resorts (tiger bay, Na'ama Bay, Coral Resort etc) are man made & full of vendors who work for 30 days before going home to the ir families in other parts of Egypt for 10 days. they rely on tourists for their living so they don't bite the hands that feed.

There is a lot of development going on along that coastline; we talked to a property firm last Dec & heard of no troubles whatsoever.

I think someone's got hold of the wrong end of the stick. Go ahead & look forward to your hols!

Regards

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security Fears

No,there is no line or riots.They are supposed to be building a giant fence around Sharm (apparently it has been started) but until it actually becomes a reality I will take it with a pinch of salt.I think it was a knee jerk reaction to the bombings that will probably never actually get built,it just made people feel safer at the time.

Surrey
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Security Fears

Hi - we've been to Egypt 6 times and never had any problems - the 1st time we went we flew out from Gatwick and there was the bombings in London - the day we flew home there were the bombings in Sharm - needless to say we have been 5 more times.

The resorts were very secure before and even more so now as are the hotels and airport.

The majority welcome tourists as we are their bread and butter and they are very friendly and I have never seen any trouble between locals and Brits.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,013 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Security Fears

Just got back last week-locals are all really friendly, no problems. It's a lot less intimidating over there than parts of the UK!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Security Fears

There have been no such riots at all. All what happened was a protest organized by some locals against building the fence around Sharm coz it was seen as a threat to the desert Safari trips business, which is vital for tourism, which is vital for the local economy. The whole thing was a protest by the locals against their own government and no tourists were involved at all.

And you cannot say those were "riots" coz there was no serious violence recorded . As far as I remember, nobody was injured. It is just a demonstration like the ones that happen against the Iraq war in your country all the time.

By the way, this story is very old, at least a year now. I almost forgot it myself, but the comment above on the fence reminded me. Actually, I don't recall how it all ended, but I think they suspended building the fence as the media here showed massive support to the locals aggainst the government to stop that useless thing.

6. Re: Security Fears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh