We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd most unhygenic?

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenock
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
2nd most unhygenic?

in the sun today it was reported that holiday makers found dominican republic the most unhygenic(sp?), then Egypt was 2nd, claiming these places you are most likely to become ill.

Thoughts?

P.S only 9 days til i leave.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd most unhygenic?

Hiya,

In the Dominican Republic it's only 1 hotel out of loads that has a problem and in Egypt people get ill from too much sun and alcohol! Their lack of respect for their bodies need of water leaves them dehydrated and ill :-)

Jo

x

Greenock
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd most unhygenic?

yeh i appreciate that, i think it was more aimed towards the way certain foods are prepared and cooked. This can happen anyway of course, just wanted to see what everyone thought about those comments and how wary we have to be of the foods.

Anywhere in particular that is known for having dodgy places to eat?

ilford, Essex
Level Contributor
100 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd most unhygenic?

well....i went to the dominican Republic last summer.....had a bit of a dodgy tummy ( too much beer and rich food i think ) and go to Egypt in 2 days..... so i will find out.

I think that you just have to be careful wherever you go.

Aviemore
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd most unhygenic?

Greenock?

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd most unhygenic?

Hi All

I have to back Pagan up on this one, I have stayed regularly in 2 hotels, visited a few more to eat and drink and have eaten in many restaurants throughout Sharm, haven't been ill yet (touch wood) and I've been every year since '95.

I have to say the hotels I've stayed at, in particular, are very clean, the cleaning is going on all day and all night, I've been up in the early hours to go on excursions and they have been cleaning throughout the hotels.

Yes, there are areas in Sharm that leave a lot to be desired, but you'll find that in most places, you stay away from these places, if you're wise. I would say the same about Luxor and Cairo, the hotels boats and restaurants I have used have been very clean. I

wish I could say the same about Britain!

Regards

Barbara

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd most unhygenic?

The trouble being that there is a massive difference between having well swept and moped floors and good food handling.When in Egypt we eat out and in and just take the risk as being a part of being in a country where standards are well below that of the one we come from .You can make the chance of getting something less but you will never eliminate it.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd most unhygenic?

I've just read a news report saying that hospital kitchens in the UK are not meeting basic food hygene standards. We tend to set high standards, not meet them ourselves and then criticise other countries when we get a slightly dodgy stomach (which is usually through our own fault).

England
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd most unhygenic?

I think it's quite simplistic to blame too much sun and alcohol and lack of water for stomach upsets. I have seen this argument used before and whilst it's important not to overdo the sun and to take in a lot of water, it's naive to suggest that this is the only reason for stomach upsets and also that Egypt is no worse than anywhere else for stomach upsets - otherwise why so much discussion about the topic on this forum.

I have always travelled widely and now travel abroad at least 4 times a year ( to some very hot places). I always drink lots of water - much more than at home. In the past 10 years the only place I have only ever been ill has been in Egypt - only twice, but both times very definitely due to the food - once in the Hard Rock Cafe (where my son also became ill, having shared a dish) and once in another restaurant where I was the only one to eat the salad and was violently ill afterwards.

Take the right precautions - wash hands often, lots of water, avoid salads and ice unless you know it's from bottled water. Another cause of stomach upsets often seems to be in AI hotels from buffets where other people may not have taken the same hygiene precautions or food may have been standing around for a while.

On both occasions I was ill, it lasted no more than 24 hours and was an inconvenience which didn't spoil my holiday and was soon cured with Antinal

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2nd most unhygenic?

Absolutely Pegan :-) I agree

What also gets me...is the amount of people claiming food poisoning, after a couple of days of having a dodgy gut. Whilst i totally agree that on a very few unfortunate incidents, one might have actual food poisoning, it is in fact a combination of the extreme temperatures, and switching from freezing cold aircon to what i can only sometimes describe, as sitting 2 inches away from a gas fire on high setting lol. Too much alcohol and drinking ice cold drinks when your body temperature is soaring.

Jan

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2nd most unhygenic?

Nibbles,

I agree with what you say and have not ruled out at all that food can quite clearly be the cause of an upset stomach but the risk is the same everywhere you go no matter what country you are in. The illness in the Dominican was due to a swimming pool, not even the food. I was ill in Lanzarote this year due to the change in temperature, climate and the rich diet I was eating whilst there. Some people find it easier to blame a dodgy stomach on bad food that hadn't been prepared correctly than looking at their own behaviour. I'm not saying that this is always the case but alot of the time it is.

Jo

x

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh
Recent Conversations